Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 02-17-2013, 06:03 PM

Default New Gas Gas owner. Couple of set up questions about a 2003 FSE450.

Just bought a FSE 450, 2003 yesterday. Bike has 460 miles on it. Looks new, but it had sat a lot over the last 9 years with occasional starts and short rides.
It is all original, except for the tires I mounted and the grips I mounted. I bought this bike primarily for dual sport events.

I'm comparing to a 2012 and 2013 Yamaha YZ 450 that I race, so forgive me.

1) I don't like the actuation of the Magura clutch. Seems to have to be pulled in far to disengage, then let out far to engage. Is this normal?

2) Handlebar set up: I think it needs a taller bar. I am 5 10. Just seems hard to stand up easy like a modern MX bike. I feel like the bars are to low and your not sitting in a cockpit like a Jap bike. What bend do you guys run? How do I run over sized bars? Just change out the handlebar stems with what? Who makes them? Do Yamaha stems fit (oversized stems) I ask this because I have a couple of extra Pro taper bars around that I like.... Also have brand new twinwall 996 Renthals.

3)Air filter: Stock filter fell apart when I washed it. Looks like a 2009 Yamaha YZ 450 filter, like a twin air fits. That is what I used today anyhow, since I had some from a bike long ago...

4) Suspension set up: Bike chatters a lot under hard braking. What do you guys like as far as sag? 110, 100, 120 mm? How about clicker settings? How about fork height and clicker settings. Oil height?

5) Seen a thread on here about updating the plastics. How far, as in years , can I upgrade too??

6) Starting: Seems t start well with electric starter. How about the kickstarter? What is the trick? I have read a lot of post over the last couple days and lots of bashing on this bike as far as starting.

Looking for a skidpate. Direction to a supplier....
Same with a slip on silencer, as the original owner cut the spark arrestor off, although he did give that to me if I wanted to fabricate something so I could use the stock one. In it's current condition, it seems quite loud.

Live around State College Pa. Looking for a knowledgeable dealer. Email me if you want to sell something like a skid plate, plastic upgrade, etc.
Thanks for the help
Greg

Old 02-18-2013, 08:19 PM

Greg, I have an '05 and no one has been able to start mine with the kick starter including my buddies at the Triumph shop. Byron started my buddies 500 Husky in 3 kicks. He can not start the 450! I can not start the 500 Husky so I don't have a prayer of starting my 450. I took the kick start lever off because I was tired of it laughing at me. It weighs nothing but it's useless to me so it's in the tool box.
Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Search for the wife's new bike has ended, lowered the 450 and 300....she's got a choice now! We're good!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:30 PM

Not much info out there.

Got a couple of private ones that said " Sell it quick"!

So far it isnt my 2012 YZ 450, but it seems good for the road and doing dual sports!