Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 11-06-2013, 08:54 PM

Default Thinking of getting some suspension tunage.

Hey guys, our riding season is about over and the snow has arrived. Over the coming winter I've been thinking on sending my suspension away for work. I am pretty handy with things but don't have the spare time to learn/perform major suspension work.

What kind of information should I have on hand when I speak to a tuner? I don't race, but some of the guys I ride with suggest maybe fast b class level. I weigh around 260 lbs geared up and like to ride technical rocky single track, but we do occasionally hit some more flowing fourth gear plus stuff.

Riding an 09 ec 300 with Sachs front and rear.
I'm doubting that I have the ability to properly setup clickers etc, as I've never messed with them very much.
Thanks to help from the forum the engine is jetted super nice so I'm looking for the next step in handling.

Thanks

Last edited by lgr; 12-15-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr View Post
Hey guys, our riding season is about over and the snow has arrived. Over the coming winter I've been thinking on sending my suspension away for work. I am pretty handy with things but don't have the spare time to learn/perform major suspension work.

What kind of information should I have on hand when I speak to a tuner? I don't race, but some of the guys I ride with suggest maybe slower A class level. I weigh around 260 lbs geared up and like to ride technical rocky single track, but we do occasionally hit some more flowing fourth gear plus stuff.

Riding an 09 ec 300 with Sachs front and rear.
I'm doubting that I have the ability to properly setup clickers etc, as I've never messed with them very much.
Thanks to help from the forum the engine is jetted super nice so I'm looking for the next step in handling.

Thanks
You'll be amazed what can happen with properly tuned suspension. I'd suggest sending to me (foolish if I didn't, right?) but Les Tenius of LTR also has a lot of experience with the Sachs.

In either case you can PM me and we'll get you up to speed on where your suspenders are now and where they need to go.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 11-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You'll be amazed what can happen with properly tuned suspension.
Not a truer spoken word.

Definitely find a tuner who has worked with the Sachs and has a solid baseline for them. Steve, or Les, both have this. Dave at STM was chasing some Sachs internals a while back for some r&d. Not sure where he got to with it all.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:47 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I have been down this road and the best advice is to tell the tuner (i used Steve - and still bounce questions off him) what type of riding you do and more importantly what it is about your current suspension that you do not like (and a lesser extent what you do like).

This is not as easy as it sounds because the saying goes "the best suspension you know is the best suspension you have ridden", so i just set the bar high and based my wants on being able to ride over rocks and roots as though i was driving a Bentley on a new freeway! we are still getting there! But honestly the more information you can give the tuner just in terms of how you feel it when you ride the better, you may find that your issues can be solved by a change in oil height or clickers (being a long way away from Steve we went through all of the easy-fixes before we decided that a shim/revalve was required and there are now very few rides i go on where i don't poop myself a little and then thank Steve for his work!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
I have been down this road and the best advice is to tell the tuner (i used Steve - and still bounce questions off him) what type of riding you do and more importantly what it is about your current suspension that you do not like (and a lesser extent what you do like).

This is not as easy as it sounds because the saying goes "the best suspension you know is the best suspension you have ridden", so i just set the bar high and based my wants on being able to ride over rocks and roots as though i was driving a Bentley on a new freeway! we are still getting there! But honestly the more information you can give the tuner just in terms of how you feel it when you ride the better, you may find that your issues can be solved by a change in oil height or clickers (being a long way away from Steve we went through all of the easy-fixes before we decided that a shim/revalve was required and there are now very few rides i go on where i don't poop myself a little and then thank Steve for his work!
Where did you get your shim and revalving done, anywhere in SA perhaps?
Old 11-07-2013, 01:37 PM

I rode a friends KTM setup by checkpoint and was amazed. Like riding on a cloud. I'll. Shoot you a pm when I get a chance. On vaca now.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderod View Post
He sent it to Steve at Afterhours in the US www.afterhourscycle.com
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 12-01-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderod View Post
Being in SA, have you looked up Hayward Suspension (http://haywardsuspension.co.za/) ? Steve will do you well also.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:18 PM

My bike was reworked by LTR by the previous owner. I was told it was set up for 180lb rider. I weigh 200-205 and it works perfectly for me. In all my years of riding I've never bothered to do more than an oil or spring change. That was a mistake.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:48 PM

[QUOTE=twowheels;122052]You'll be amazed what can happen with properly tuned suspension. Les Tenius of LTR ,/QUOTE]

Les of LTR did mine this year. Great job very happy with his work. He takes the time to talk to you even tho you fill out a fourm on what you want.