Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:05 PM

You could have some problems. It looks like the ring gear has been rotating back and forth a lot. It has hammered the rivets that are part of the flywheel.

If you remove the nut, you should be able to lift off the gear and clean the rivets. At the same time check to see if the flywheel is loose. The crankshaft taper could still be holding the flywheel on OK since the bike runs. A loose flywheel will usually shear the key off and the bike stops running.

The ring gear has to be snug on the rivets. You may need a new flywheel, ring gear and bendix to get everything back in shape.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:19 PM

That is a different design than my 2014. My ring gear is secured to the flywheel with small bolts. I know because they came loose one day on the trail... may have been the start of my bendix problems.

One thing I noticed about my 5009 bendix is the pinion can freewheel in reverse, which I don't think the GG bendix does. This could be a problem saver if / when the bendix doesn't release quick enough.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:58 AM

Just checked both bendix and they both freewheel in reverse
Anyone know of a crossover flywheel?
Ta
Old 07-12-2015, 08:32 AM

Well, my success was short lived....
Yesterday I lost a few teeth on my ring gear, bendix is fine. There could have been some damage from previous bendix failures, who knows. I posted a WTB ad, but if anyone has a line on a ring gear let me know please!

Thanks, Dan

Last edited by dANbOT; 07-12-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:39 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dANbOT View Post
Well, my success was short lived....
Yesterday I lost a few teeth on my ring gear, bendix is fine. There could have been some damage from previous bendix failures, who knows. I posted a WTB ad, but if anyone has a line on a ring gear let me know please!

Thanks, Dan
Rotate the ring gear a rivet or two on the stator, as the crank typically stops in the same position each time, therefore the starter usually engages in the same place every time. It might work well enough to help you bridge to the replacement ring gear.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
Rotate the ring gear a rivet or two on the stator, as the crank typically stops in the same position each time, therefore the starter usually engages in the same place every time. It might work well enough to help you bridge to the replacement ring gear.
Yeah I dont want to risk breaking anything else.. ill just kick it for now. that ign pickup is pretty exposed in there. Thanks for the idea though!
Old 07-13-2015, 05:37 AM

I have two teeth missing out of my ring gear and have no problems. I looked into replacing but the gear was pretty expensive.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:26 AM

Mine has 3 missing, and the teeth on either side of the gap are shady looking. I'll look into spinning the ring gear as you guys suggest, but the 14 ring mounts to the flywheel with three small bolts so I only have 1/3 turn increments to play with.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:25 AM

Just started calling around for a new ring gear, or "ignition sprocket" as it's referred to in the parts fiche's.
I had heard so much about Gofasters, it was the first call I made... I was told they do not sell to consumers and Halls Cycle would be my best bet. Strange that I had read so many positive threads about Gofasters as a parts source (or maybe I read wrong). Anyways, Halls isn't open on mondays so tomorrow I'll call and see what kind of availability there is.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:52 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dANbOT View Post
Just started calling around for a new ring gear, or "ignition sprocket" as it's referred to in the parts fiche's.
I had heard so much about Gofasters, it was the first call I made... I was told they do not sell to consumers and Halls Cycle would be my best bet. Strange that I had read so many positive threads about Gofasters as a parts source (or maybe I read wrong). Anyways, Halls isn't open on mondays so tomorrow I'll call and see what kind of availability there is.
Gofasters was the US importer/distributor/go-to for all things GasGas, but the recent realignment of the US distro policy moved GF to US Parts distributor with dealers performing customer sales. Therefore, GF doesn't sell direct to consumers as GG North America wanted to get the dealers back into the parts pipeline.

Does that make sense?