Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 AM

Default EC300 vs 250f questions

I have a 2010 EC300. I really like it. I am looking for a backup bike and have come across a 2010 250F (gasgas)

The whole 2 vs. 4 stroke thing withstanding...what would be the riding impression differences between them. I am assuming the 250f will be slightly heavier but should handle similarly. My son has a 2006 Yz250F with a flywheel weight and I assume power delivery should be similar except maybe a bit more on the bottom and a little less on top.

I am a woods rider. I would really like to hear from guys who have ridden both.

Another question on the 250f. My wife rides a 230f now and I try and set up her bikes to NOT wheelie as she will sit on her rear going up hills and I would like to see her at the top. How light does the front end get on these, and what could I do to counteract that?

I KNOW they are seemingly different in nature. I am just looking for someone who has ridden them both and could comment. I know there are advantages each way.

Thanks

Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 AM

From what I've noticed, the 300 has smooth power all around, whereas the 250f is still very smooth, but doesn't have quite the pull that the 300 does on the topend. Pipe and sprockets could easily open it up if need be.
You're comparison to the YZ is pretty accurate. Great lowend power and very smooth on the GasGas vs a harder hitting power on the YZ (great for mx, maybe not so much in the rocks and trees).

Casper, Wyoming
(307) 234-4944
Old 01-18-2012, 11:22 AM

While riding do you notice much difference weight wise and flickability?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:45 AM

imo I feel like all of the two strokes from 125-300 are more nimble than the 250f, but the added weight isn't as big of factor as you might think, so long as you're not spending all day picking it up off the ground.

Casper, Wyoming
(307) 234-4944

Last edited by AlpineMS; 01-18-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:11 PM

I just sold my EC300 and own a EC250.

I owned a Yamaha WR250f ('07) for a year and rode it exclusively as my woods bike.

The biggest factor is terrain and ability level in when considering a 250f. For a slow A or B rider, the 250f is a spectacular bike in the tight woods. Most poo-poo them as a beginners bike or girls bike, but they are truly great in the woods. We have a local A expert who is on the podium regularly with his WR250f.

The weight is really not that noticeable IMO coming off of a 250/300 2-stroke. If you were on a 125-200 I would say that the weight then is more of a factor.

The 250f is no powerhouse (about 30-35 hp depending on mods), that needs to be stated right up front. It does not come close to the power of a 250/300 2-stroke. But, it simply puts the power to the ground very well. Not wheel spin, no fuss, just puts the power to the rear wheel nicely. It does not have the quick snap of a 2-stroke, so sometimes an unexpected obstacle where you need to loft the front end, can be an issue. It takes a bit more planning to do that as opposed to the quicker reving/responding 300.

I found the WR250f to be so EASY to ride. I am a "B" rider, mostly tight woods and weigh about 225lbs. Believe it or not, I was faster on the little WR than any of my 2-strokes. I felt it handled very well in the rocks and roots in the tight woods with its nice soft suspension. It can be railed in the corners and I just felt it was perfectly suited for tight woods riding. I rode it with tons of confidence and loved ripping on the bike. Where you usually have to hold a 250/300 2-stroke back, you can push the 250f.

Now, when things open up 3rd gear on up, the WR starts to loose its luster. The lack of snappy power and softer suspension begin to become a factor as speeds go up.

I ride a bit in terrain where you can rip in 3rd-5th gear. I love the 250/300 2-stroke in this terrain. The better suspension and more aggressive power delivery of the Gasgas EC300 are awesome in this terrain.

There has been a bit of a movement toward smaller cc bikes here in the NW. With our tight woods, many are riding 250f thumpers and 125-200cc 2-strokes. Lighter, easier to ride longer, fun to push hard, handle awesome.

I've considered going back to a 250f or 200 2-stroke for those very reasons. But, a 250/300 is very versitile and can tackle a broader spectrum of terrain.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:10 PM

I am sure the geometry is a little different but how bout if my wife is riding up steepish hills sitting down...would it wheelie pretty easy or still take some effort?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgiven View Post
I am sure the geometry is a little different but how bout if my wife is riding up steepish hills sitting down...would it wheelie pretty easy or still take some effort?
I own a WR250F and also agree with all above.

On the bottom end it will still feel like the 300. As the revs climb it will pull more, but not like the 300. I can still loft a wheel on my WR250F up a hill. You can gear it tall or have her ride a gear high. Best approach would be to educate and explain body position. Isn't learning what riding bikes is all about.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:58 PM

My wife is almost 50...I just want her to have fun as safe as possible. If we were both younger I would say let her learn her lessons...but that isn't the case.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:33 PM

The gasgas has a slightly longer wheelbase than the wr250f, about 10mm. So it might be slightly less prone to wheelstanding.

I think rider coaching is very good for increasing confidence and safety, which results in less stress and more fun, which is what its all about isnt it?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgiven View Post
My wife is almost 50...I just want her to have fun as safe as possible. If we were both younger I would say let her learn her lessons...but that isn't the case.
Is her 230F lacking in some area? Or you just love GG so much you want to add another to the stable (No one here would blame you; biased crowd)

Perhaps make her a deal that if she can work on improving her position then she can get a new ride! Its win win win for everyone.

I wasn't suggesting for her to go balls out and loop it to learn her lesson. No one should have to learn that way. IMO getting the basics down on a low powered poorly suspended, weak braking bike is the best way to progress and will make you apreciate the upgrades even more!

FWW the stock WR250F came with a throttle stop that limited the bikes to around 3/4 instead of WOT! Not sure if GG runs the same setup but it wouldn't be hard to implement and really makes them mild.