Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:11 PM

Default Need help buying a new bike pls

Hi all. The title says it all. I have a 2008 KLX 450 but really wanting a new 300 2 smoker. There is a gas gas dealer that i have built a relationship with willing to sell me a new 2012 GG 300 for $7800. But a big dealership in Denver (about 1 hr from my house) is willing to deliver a 2013 KTM XCWe for $8000. I'm sure i would be happy with either but im still struggling to decide. This bike will be for trail riding mostly but some enduro / hairscramble. The resale of the ktm will be higher but i plan on keeping whatever i decide on for at least 5 years. I like the looks of the GG just worried i'll be cramped in the cockpit. I am 6'2, 205 pounds B class vet. any incite to help my decision would be greatly appreciated. THX!

Old 08-26-2012, 01:32 PM

The 2012 GG is more open/roomy than the 2010 GG that I had and I sold it to a friend that's 6' - 5" 225 lbs. It's his favorite bike of all time and he's had quite a few. He installed the tall seat and tall bars. IMHO the GG handling and ergos makes it a better bike. I tried a few KTM's as my son had a couple and I never could come to grips with their ergos. I feel like I'm sitting up on the KTM's over looking the number plate as the front end twitches and the back tries to find traction. Have you sit and stood on the GG?
Old 08-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

How much can you get a 2013 Gasser for??

John covered the bases. Both good bikes. Asking here will get a biased answer to a certain extent. You'll find some own both brands, and others will tell you what John has. I'm with him that the KTM just feels a bit alien and less confidence inspiring for me.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:20 PM

thx for the quick replys. I did sit on a 2012 gg 300 and it felt pretty good (except for the 2x4 for a seat). I really like the looks of the gaser but the more i research i think the KTM is more advanced. The gaser engine reminds me of my 1996 KDX 200 which is not a bad thing but i like a bit of a hit. Also i think the GG is like 20 pounds heavier. (anyone know?) 2013 Gaser would be around $8500+. $8000 for 2013 KTM. $7800 for 2012 GG. So the real difference is 200 bucks for a year newer model KTM.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Banned

Uh oh! Sounds like you have been reading the mags or have been on KTM talk?

Don't get hung up on the weight thing, it's all relative. The Gasser is way more balanced then the KTM. You have to wonder why the Gasser is a bit heavier? One big reason is the cases are sand cast and thicker then the KTM = more durable in the long run. Seat foam can be changed. I stand up 80% of the time so the seat isn't an issue. The electric start is years better then the KTM.

If you do get the KTM keep a spare shifter in your bag and a counter shaft seal available.

I would put my 97' Gasser against any new machine.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:09 PM

6'5" on a 12 300 no problem with room in the cock pit. Gutz has a tall seat just got mine have not installed yet. Road my 525 today and was missing the 300 all day.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

You tell me how the ktm is more advanced for the greater good and I'll go buy one

IMO Ktm has spent the last 10 years trying to make it ride like gasser. The reality is that they are yet to do it successfully. Again from 2012 to 2013 the pumpkins are changing triple clamp offsets, they're dropping PDS for linkages. Blah blah blah. The weight savings are as stated, in the parts or lack there of. Its all the small things like bash plates, rads, pipe, cases, fasteners. The potential to shave weight off the gasser is easy but they haven't because what they have works. The bikes don't feel heavy but are if you happen to put them on the scales. The way I see it is, if weight was really that much of an issue I'd get my lazy ass off the seat more and drop 10kgs of sprung mass. Ride without 10kgs of tools, and use less safety gear. At the end of the day thats where you'll really save the weight.

As I said previously, both are good bikes. The gasser feels a better ride to me, but then I am only comparing my 2010 model against a 2011 Berg TE300 with the CC forks.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:17 PM

The GasGas motor is bulletproof, I just personally proved that. Its heavier yes, but if you plan to keep it for five years it will be running for those years. I have an '07 that frequently holeshots races, so no, you don't need a KTM to go fast. If you want hit you can set it up that way. The '12+ platform has a bigger feel, more mainstream in size, so taller riders should like it. Its also very stable, especially in rough turns, really holds a line well. KTMs tend to sacrifice stability for steering. I'd get a YZ250 before a KTM.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 PM

More advanced yep....I hear they found the missing link. jk
Old 08-26-2012, 08:28 PM

I was presented with the option of a 2012 'berg 300 or a '12 gasser 300.

I have rode both now and do not regret getting the gasser. I am a Vet A rider and could have adapted to either and been ok.

I am not a big guy and do not notice the weight all that much. I notice most when lifting the bike on the stand.

As far as the engine, you must have read the dirt rider/ bike article talking about the power valve being similar to the ATAC or KIPS. I can tell you now, that this engine is nothing like either of those. It comes on with a snap and pulls hard. It isn't as abrupt as my KXs that I raced but not electric electric smooth like my '05 gasser. It has all the reponse and zip that any mortal rider would need. I also have a friend in AA who rides a 12 300 and he loves the motor.

I could go on but I don't want to sound preachy. You can surely search on here and see the issues that people have had with their bikes. You can do the same on KTMtalk. The guys who have problems are the ones posting. Trying to fix the issues. Most guys who are 100% happy will not say a word . They are too busy riding the wheels off their new bike.. I probably am one of the 100% happy guys but decided to post since I have someone else driving me home from the race that I did today.