Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:11 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up Back in the Saddle Again!

Hello everyone!
To start with, let me say that I've been negligent about following all the latest news here, about what is going on with you all and the bikes. I apologize.

I was so happy with my '06 DE300 (the one I broke in at GasGasman's enduro in September of 2005) that I got sort of complacent. It never gave me any problems that I didn't cause, and not many of them. I kept in mechanically "like new".

I've been crying about it's loss ever since it was stolen last July. BTW, the 45 Zokes on that bike worked smoothly and well, as long as I didn't try to jump it too big. But, I had it specifically valved for gnarly, rocky tight woods singletrack, so Big Air wasn't a regular on my menu. ("Big Air. That's all kids want today, Big Air. I say,'Kid, if you want Big Air, pull my finger!" - stolen from Smooth Johnson, VLJ, master of the berm.)

When the '06 was stolen, my "panic reaction" was to have the suspension customized on my '94 Husaberg FE350. I was hoping to get the stolen bike back, eventually.
I decided on a plan to wait on getting a "real" replacement while I waited on it's possible return, and if it didn't return, look around and try get a killer deal on a "left over" new model 2010 or 2011 250 to replace it in the spring.

It's now spring.
Well, I busted the hide on the back of my throttle hand at the Wudi15 Ride six weeks ago, and just got healed to the degree where Deb will let me ride again. (I am behind on my trail work for our race, but friends have been covering for me.)
It wasn't an impressive wreck, but I posted the Go-Pro footage on youtube,com, anyway. It's posted in the channel for "Wudsracer Jim". It's my only posted video, if anyone is curious.

Anyway, now that I have a ticket to ride, I decided it was time to get serious. I made some calls, and looked around at what was available that was close enough for me to drive to pick up. A week ago, I found what I was looking for at Kawasaki Sport Center in Little Rock, Arkansas; a brand new 2011 EC250. That it has electric start wasn't on the list, but I'm not unhappy that it is there (and still haven't kickstarted the bike yet. ) The bike has the Ohlins shock and the 45mm Zoke Shivers that I like.
Tom Murray, the owner, made me a good deal and I picked up the beautiful little Spanish Dancing Girl last Saturday.

I am tickled with the feel of the bike, the sound coming out of the "Q" silencer, and how I feel while riding the bike. Everything about the bike is smooth and easy. Before my 2006 was stolen, I was considering running it as a 250, just for a change back to the more free revving and flexible feel of the engine. I am happy with the displacement choice. I may not be able to be as lazy when I ride, but the feeling of the 250 is worth it.

I got to ride it on Tuesday. I rode a couple of easy laps on the 520 KTM to check out a repair job, before I rode the new bike. The KTM checked out fine.
Then, I rolled out the Gasser, turned on the key and pushed the green button, and took a few easy "bottom end" break-in laps on the new Spanish Dancing Girl. I started grinning within thirty feet of letting out the clutch and haven't quit grinning yet.

I had been looking at the new direct injected OSSA and the Beta 300, as well as the 2013 GasGas 250. Heck, I even talked to Christini. (I was just too afraid that the extra weight up front would ruin the feel of the bike, regardless of what two wheel drive allowed me to do in the mountains. I did say that I loved mountain singletrack, didn't I?)

I am very happy with my choice. As soon as my protective accessories and personalization of the bike is completed, it's going to be hard to make myself ride anything else. (I had the dual sported KTM 520 EXC for a year before I took it on the trails, and then, only after the '06 300 was stolen. It's a good bike, but it isn't a GasGas. It is, after all, my dual sport ride.)

In the meantime, for this weekend's trail work expedition, the KTM will get to taste some more rocks and dirt.

When I get back home, I'm going to start a thread to ask all ya'll what I need to look out for and what I might tear down and proactively fix, in order to make the 2011 what I want it to be. I've also got some questions as to what you have done in the way of shark fins, bar mounts, radiator guards, etc, that I will welcome input with. (and this problem I've been reading a little bit about the water pump.)

Until then, it's great to see you folks here are alive and well, and participating in this great forum.

Good Riding to All Ya'll!
Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/

Old 05-17-2013, 05:54 AM

Welcome back Jim! Its the first time I'm on the forum in almost a month and I see this! Have fun with the girl! I still have my 97. I'm going to rebuild her from the ground up I think. some of the issues with the new 12/13 bikes I'm going to hold off on a new GG till the teething issues work out.
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 05-17-2013, 05:59 AM

My '07 will go up for sale as well Steve.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:14 AM

Congrats on the new bike! Where's the pics?
Old 05-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

great news... jim cook, as he told me, is a legend in his own mind...lol

and pictures sir..... we demand pictures....
Old 05-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default too bad

I was hoping you'd get a line on the theft
Good luck with the new bike
Stoby
Old 05-17-2013, 09:35 AM

Welcome back!
STREET_ GTR 1400 (The Connie)
93 KDX 200 (Katie)
Old 05-17-2013, 10:03 AM

You'll be asking us to tell you what to do with the bike????

You know more than most of us already. The 11 is not that much different from the older bikes.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM

Great news Jim. You'll love the new 250 - I've had mine now for almost 2 years and it's been rock solid - as capable as my 07 300 was and even more fun to ride. Only weak spot on mine was the kick start lever and that was an easy fix. I still think these 11s are about the best looking dirt bike ever made.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:31 PM

I get a '10 and you have to 'one up' me LOL Have fun with it Jim!!
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro