Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:31 PM

Default 2013 EC200 water in crankcase

Hi all,

Have a bit of a problem on my hands... I last rode my 2013 ec200 around a month a go and as usual gave it a full wash down afterwards. I went to start it up yesterday and could tell I wasn't getting spark so I pulled the plug and found water on the end of it...

Long story short some water got in the exhaust when it was last cleaned and worked its way down to the bottom of the crankcase and sat their unnoticed for a month. I've drained it, flushed the crankcase and pulled the top end for a closer look at the crank. There's no visible rust on the crank but I'm worried about the main bearings.

Should I go to the trouble if splitting the cases now to inspect them or keep riding until it's due for a proper strip down? The bike has a total of 60 hours of trail riding on it at the moment.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I'm concerned about how water got in there from just cleaning. I can't imagine it coming through the exhaust unless the hose was run straight into the pipe for a while.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2017, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

You would have to have at least an inch of water in the crank case to affect the bearings. The rod bearing may have been in the water. But,you would see a water line on the crank filets.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff View Post
I'm concerned about how water got in there from just cleaning. I can't imagine it coming through the exhaust unless the hose was run straight into the pipe for a while.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
I washed it with a pressure washer (which I normally never do) without my exhaust bung as I had lost it. I found water in the exhaust but now you've said that I did get stuck in some very deep mud that day so it's possible muddy water got in else where.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
You would have to have at least an inch of water in the crank case to affect the bearings. The rod bearing may have been in the water. But,you would see a water line on the crank filets.
I will have a closer look at the crank for any water lines. Quite a bit came out but unsure if it would have sat higher than an inch or not.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:29 AM

After a closer inspection tonight it looks like the water may have just sat on top of the piston until I started trying to kick the bike over - is that plausible?

The rings are a little rusty but other than that everything looks normal.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:08 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff View Post
I did the same on my 15 200. The water enters the filter box via the openings in the side panels. I always use a pressure washer. This was one of the first times I washed it, and I tried to start it directly afterwards. It didn't...
Then it sat for a day or two until I tried again, then I saw the water at the spark plug. I drained the crank case thru the draining plug, and there was some cc of water coming out.
When I checked the air filter box, and water was still standing there. Then I removed the plug (that should have been a one-way valve, but gets clogged immediately) in the bottom of the box, and have never had the problem since.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 01-05-2017, 07:38 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I guess I could see that if the airbox drain was blocked. LTCP, it looks like you are on your way.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:28 PM

Default water intrusion

Not convinced water would get through airbox and carb without engine running. But it is a little disheartening to pull the side covers off and see just how vulnerable the intake is to water intrusion. I would never try deep water crossing on my ec300 because of it. One year I rode the Alligator Enduro here in Florida right after flooding rains, my IT200 Yamaha was up to the triple clamps when I crossed the river, nothing but handle bars showing. Made it through and passed fifty watered out bikes. Not too sure my Gasser in that environment would do so good. Just clean out the water, rust, free up rings and you should be alright.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:39 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampGasser View Post
Not convinced water would get through airbox and carb without engine running.
I agree. But in my case I did try to start it with water in the airbox. I believe that was when it was sucked in.

Sent fra min E5603 via Tapatalk

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc