Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > United Kingdom

Old 03-22-2008, 03:16 AM

Default Newbie - Just purchased 250ec

Hi All

Time for 3 stupid questions. Just bought the bike, still no chance to ride or explore it yet - Next weekend is coming, but not fast enough

1) Never owned an offroad with lights, trip metre etc before.
How do you get these 2 work? Should it come on automatically when started, or should their be a battery as well that I must locate or install? If not, where do I start to get this sorted?

2) What are the standard sprockets. I currently got 13 / 48 and cannot even get the front wheel up in 2nd gear by twisting the hell out of the throttle?

3) Dead spot when bike is at "idling" revs then twist throttle totally open, only for 1 second, then its clean. Dirty Carb? Blocked pilot? Incorrect pilot? spark plug?
Suggestions? I want to ride the bloody thing next weekend and dont want to waste time finding the problem.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

1) There is a toggle switch behind the headlight shell on the right hand side.

2) 13/48 is stand, but I run 13/52 and love it.

3) Shouldn't have a dead spot. Is it jetted too lean now that it is warming up?
Old 03-23-2008, 02:47 AM

Smile

Thanks eff

1)Will have a look
2)How about trying a 50 first, need extra power but don't want to flip on the climbs? from a 48 to a 52 seems a bit excessive? Or am I wrong?
3)Not sure I understand your question? Bike was warm. Could also be dirty air filter?, still need to get to cleaning it
Old 03-23-2008, 06:14 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I live in New England, so for me the 52 works in the rocks and woods. I tried a 50 before that and wanted more.

What I always find helpful is to know what you have in the bike for jetting. So I would pull the carb and record what you have in there. While you are at it clean the carb, make sure the float height is correct and start with a clean filter. If you are not sure about the plug I'd put a new one in too, they are cheap enough.

Does the bike give you a "boo-whah" sound when you open the throttle? That suggests you are lean. I'll take a short cut here. Look for MattR's jetting database and compare your settings. Consider if you need to change some jets. Not too technical but I hope it helps.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:06 PM

what year 250?? it should pick the front wheel up in the first three gears,you should check out to make sure the silencer is clean and not blocked?
Old 03-25-2008, 11:05 AM

Year 2005

Yip, does make a "boo-whah" sound. But only picked it up sometimes when I twisted the grip fully open straight from idle, this in second gear trying to get the front wheel in the air without using the clutch.
Planning to replace plug, clean filter obviously and carb, float level etc etc
Old 01-25-2010, 11:17 AM

Default ec 250

I bought an EC250 with an unknown history and had the same problem, couldn't get the front wheel up. I checked the tail pipe packing which was totally u.s. and decided to fit an FMF Knarly. Well, I trundled out of the garage in first then changed to second and opened it up. The front end came up so fast it threw me off and I was sat on my butt (big ouch!) That was a year ago and since then I've ridden almost every weekend and LOVE this bike. I hope you enjoy yours.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:19 AM

I've just realised the date of your post How did you get on, have you still got the bike, enjoy it?