Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:22 AM

Default Front Axle

hi,

after getting my bike back from the shop, the mechanic has suggested i replace the front axle becasue the thread at the end is stripped...
is there any known crossover part?
im not that keen on paying $150+ NZD for a genuine one
its an 07 ec125

thanks

Old 09-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobi View Post
hi,

after getting my bike back from the shop, the mechanic has suggested i replace the front axle becasue the thread at the end is stripped...
is there any known crossover part?
im not that keen on paying $150+ NZD for a genuine one
its an 07 ec125

thanks
Can you not put a die over it to renew the thread or get it machined with a new thread?
Maybe a cheaper way out?
Cheers Mark
Old 09-18-2009, 11:35 AM

I agree with Mark just have the threads renewed (same as original) you only need 10-20% of that thread area anyway for the axle bolt to do it's job. I rode my bike several times with no axle nut at all (dog carried it off when the bike was apart). The only reason the axle bolt is so big is so the hollow axle can be made lighter. Take your axle and axle bolt to a good machine shop so they can match it up to the correct tap.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:18 PM

thanks for the replies.

im not going to inspect the axle just yet, as i dont want to undo the bolt and find its f&$&ed and have to sort it out during the week before the final round of the 2man xc series.
but the re-machining idea was one i hadnt considered, but as i said i dont know the condition, jsut what the mechanic told me. also, the bolt has been done up now anyway. so it can stay that way...
ill probably look at it when its time to do the front wheel bearings, as it wont need a new front for a while, i got 18+ months out of the last one
Old 09-21-2009, 01:30 AM

" the bolt has been done up now anyway"

this being the case, there is a chance that you will also be able to tighten it up after the next time you've had it apart.

I personally, would check this before spending money.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:32 AM

ok, i pulled the axle out. and it can be saved, just get the thread cleaned up a bit.

but the nut is f%&&*%d. it only has what looks like thread left on it...

is the front wheel supposed to have a bit of slop in the bearings while the wheel is on the bike? i pulled the wheel off because i noticed a smalle amount of play, but upon closer inspection the bearings appear to be as tight as new??? but while on the bike, there is still a bit of movement. its the same on our KTM....
Old 09-21-2009, 04:34 AM

Quote:
ok, i pulled the axle out. and it can be saved, just get the thread cleaned up a bit.

but the nut is f%&&*%d. it only has what looks like thread left on it...

is the front wheel supposed to have a bit of slop in the bearings while the wheel is on the bike? i pulled the wheel off because i noticed a smalle amount of play, but upon closer inspection the bearings appear to be as tight as new??? but while on the bike, there is still a bit of movement. its the same on our KTM....
You wont feel the play poking your finger in the bearings but check it's not the headrace when on the bike. May just need adjustment.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancp5 View Post
You wont feel the play poking your finger in the bearings but check it's not the headrace when on the bike. May just need adjustment.
whats the headrace?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
whats the headrace?
There are bearings for where the forks attach and pivot on the frame. If they are loose (common) or worn out (rare) you may feel the movement when checking wheel bearings.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:19 PM

"whats the headrace? " Since you hadn't been aware what these bearings were, can I assume that you've not yet checked them and packed waterproof grease around them ? Your bike, being 2 or 3 years old, should have ( in my opinion ) this done and it's possible the prvious owner didn't do them .

I neglected to inspect mine on my 2003 ec300 and they eventually crumbled due to years of water ingress..