Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:46 PM

I get it all the time. I get asked" hey Adrian when are you going to get a Ktm" I reply with " when they make a bike that works better. Gas gas has its problems. Fit and finish plain sucks. It takes me longer to set one up, but it is all stuff that can be done at home. Its a one time thing. The gasgas handles way better with no suspension work. At least I think so. Most the top Ktm riders I race with spend good money on suspension. I think the pds platform makes the suspension more touchy and hard to dial in for varying conditions. I'm racing on a five year old bike with no mechanical modifications at all except a 3mm honda clutch. I feel that gasgas like the Ronco Showtime rotisseries "set it and forget it". Adjustments only. I have a 2005 practice bike that I did the RB head mod to. and it came back with the squish band still off because of a difference in compression distances in the pistons. I pulled the .05mm base gasket out and now the bike is dangerous. It hits extremely hard off idle. Would be good for mx. Not for technical tight woods. It makes me think just how good they are stock. I have two 2005's 300's a practice bike and a race bike and don't want to ride the bike with the modded motor. I'm going to put the base gaskets back to stock and have the squish off a bit.http://b.static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.ph...931450697&ev=0 This is my bike I put together for LMS But did'nt get to go.

Last edited by Adrian; 11-15-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:54 PM

KTM must have one of the best marketing departments in the world. For years they sold junk for top dollar and people couldn't get them fast enough. The bikes are getting better but still don't live up to all the hype. 90% of the guys blowing KTM smoke up people's buts haven't been on anything else in years, if at all.
The two things orange have going for them is: 1 you can borrow any part you need at an off road race, there are 100's at every event. 2. Aftermarket parts with everything you could ever want.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:05 PM

I think that dave948 has a point there. I rode a suzuki DR before and broke a clutch lever on an offroad event. Got offered 3 or 4 KTM hydraulic levers..... DRs have a cable clutch. KTM never really appealed to me, the're just too "common". I did have a pink '96 TM250 before though.......
Old 11-15-2009, 04:14 PM

Most gas gas riders I know own more than one. They are like a VD. Fun to get hard to get rid of. I just bring 2 bikes if I'm not going with a gasgas gang. Hell I own 4 of them. I can't seem to want to part with them. I think gasgas could rise to compete in the US market. It seems to me that gasgas has a small company stigma to overcome. If they even want to.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:02 PM

My opinion , had both GG and KTM , KTM better fit and finish,more available after market everything, 08 and up handle very well and are reliable.KTM downs are :5spd trans, wider at the tank,300's tend to heat easy. GG not as good of fit and finnish but are getting allot better, super good woods handling,6spd trans, power valve adjustability not as easy as KTM , stay cool in extreem conditions, resale values are horrible, very easy to get parts fast through Go-fasters.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:02 PM

Default sticking together

my girlfriend, the person who got me into riding, owns ktm. i own a gasgas. she likes hers, i like mine. i think that nobody should be ragged on for what kind of bike they ride or what kind of riding they do. mx'rs shouldnt rag on enduro riders and viceversa. as long as their straddled over something with 2 wheels and a motor they should be accepted and praised. there are not enough dirt bike riders to be alienating ourselves from each other. its not like theres anybody in the government standing up for our right to ride. we need to stand strong together to fight for our rights. we cannot afford to be divided on something as small and insignificant as brand preference. as long as your riding it doesnt matter
Old 08-04-2010, 10:01 AM

Talking

People hate USC football because they are consistently good. Sure there are other teams that are great, but people hack on them because of how good they are.

Your support of KTM is hamstrung by the reference to USC. People hate USC because they cheat. (How do you like Reggie Bush now)
Old 08-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

In my circle it isn't only Gas Gas riders that razz the KTM guys its Yamaha guys, Husky guys etc...

We just love hatin on the lemmings. The funny thing is a large portion of my friends and peers are lemmings.

I love all dirt bikes and actually would buy a certain model KTM if it wasn't so darned expensive. The new electric one looks really good. Its stealthiness would be great for the little land I have around my place.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Site Sponsor

You know whats wierd for those of us that have been on KTM's for the long haul is that I remember when I had probably one of the few KTM's in my state. There was a time when if you rode a KTM you were waaaay in the minority. I don't get much blowback because most of the riders that know me know that I go back to Pentons. The thing is I always liked European bikes and still do. I liked KTM's so much I became a dealer. Then a Husaberg dealer and soon to be a GasGas dealer.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:50 PM

I love my KTM.

I love my Husky.

And, I love my GasGas.

Different brands serving different needs.