Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Supermoto

Has anyone had any experience converting their GasGas to Supermoto?
I'm wondering if it's feasable to make up a set of Supermoto wheels so that I can swap them on and off. I'd like to race Enduros and Harescrambles on the weekend then throw on some street tires and gearing to ride to work during the week. I understand that the front brake would be undersized and is usually swapped out for something bigger when Supermoto racing but is it necessary just for normal street riding?
Any thoughts or suggestions?
I should add that my wife is dead set against me getting a streetbike which would be the most logical thing to do. She puts up with me riding my dirtbike on the street and if I were to have some groovy looking Supermoto wheels and street tires I would probably be safer riding to work.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:12 PM

I bought a proper gasgas 250 supermoto last year so to that end, i imagine you can get sm wheels direct grom gasgas if you ask. the front brake they fit it with is a hugely overpowered brembo 4-pot calliper on a 320mm disk, but I don't reckon you'd have any major issues running a standard disk/calliper setup on a 17" rim. May look a little odd compared to other 'motards but that's about it.

safety-wise, it's a big plus as the street tyres obviously offer much better grip and stopping power and as you've got a smaller front rim to stop, the std sized disk should actually stop you more effectively than the 21" rim.

either way, do it! you know it makes sense!
Old 02-19-2007, 10:11 AM

Thanks. I'll keep looking around.