Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:38 PM

Angry front brake howl

I have a front brake problem I hope you guys can give me some suggestions on. I have a 2002 EC300 that has a front brake howl(horrible noise especially on long downhills) that has been an issue since the machine was new. I have chamfered the leading edge of the pads, sanded the pads, checked the pins,bolts etc. None of this has made a difference. I am out of ideas short of trying different pads or rotor but I don't want to spend money if it won't solve the problem. It of course has Nissin brakes. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:57 PM

A friend of mine had the same problem with his 200. He ended up de-glazing the rotor with some sand paper and that corrected the problem.

You might want to try a new rotor if this does not help your problem.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:46 AM

My '02 300XC used to do this once every 6.4 races or so. So I just got in the habit of cleaning my discs with a clean rag and brake cleaner after each wash. You'd be amazed at the dirt that comes off. Also, many cleaning solutions used on dirt bikes leave a residue that will reduce the effectiveness of disc brakes. Clean your discs after you wash your bike - it is quick and prolongs pad life and effectiveness.

In a pinch, I have used a propane torch to burn oil out of old pads that have been contaminated from leaking fork seals. Obviously take them out of the caliper to do so, and let them cool completely before cleaning them and the disc with brake cleaner. The 100% solution is to replace the pads.

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper
Old 02-12-2007, 05:37 AM

Clean brake pads in the dishwasher. The alkaline based detergent is brilliant.
As for the noise, go out to your car and remove one of your front brake disc pads and observe the thin piece of metal clipped onto the back. This thin bit of crap stops your brakes squealing and howling. Don't believe me? Put the pads back minus the strips and see how far you get before the cops pull you up or you die from embarrassment.
To permanantely shut the bike pads up, find some old car pads and with a grinder, tin snips and a bit of imagination, make some backing plates to clip on.
TA DA....end of problem.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:33 AM

Organic compound pads and a clean, deglazed rotor. Metallic pads tend to wear and polish the rotors faster. You said since new. Did you clean the rotors before riding the bike?