Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

It's Rich Smith's fault. He damn near filled the thing up to the top before I picked it up. I expected to see some sloshing but it's hard to see that when it's almost full and you expect to see it near the bottom

I'm still a dumb ass though.

Hey Clay, could you ask EE about making a roost guard for the headlight?

Maybe there is one but Rich said he didn't know of one. The "other" guys have one. It's ugly though.

Last edited by Bobt250; 12-29-2010 at 10:23 PM.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobt250 View Post
It's Rich Smith's fault. He damn near filled the thing up to the top before I picked it up. I expected to see some sloshing but it's hard to see that when it's almost full and you expect to see it near the bottom

Maybe there is one but Rich said he didn't know of one. The "other" guys have one. It's ugly though.

Good idea! Will do!
Old 12-31-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:

spiderman, spiderman......
Old 12-31-2010, 07:01 PM

Hey Clay, here's a change for ya.

Rich told me that the kickstarters tend to kind of seize up and won't rotate out. Probably made worse since I won't be using it much. He suggested greasing it.

First off, the Torx bolt was an instant flashback to what people are saying here. Whatever.

I went to remove the bolt on top in order to pull off the kick lever to grease it and the head of the bolt broke off. Now that it's broken off I can see a liberal amount of red loctite down in there. Must be the red non-removable loctite.

Needless to say I'm NOT happy that my bike is broken before I've ridden it even once. I was super scared to even try to remove the bolt in the shaft but I had to try. It came out so now I'm going to be drilling and heating and trying to E-Z out a broken bolt on my as yet to be ridden bike.

Something to tell your Spanish friends.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:22 PM

QUICK !! someone take his tools away before nothing is left
Old 12-31-2010, 07:30 PM

All's well that ends well. I drilled out the broken bolt and after I heated it to soften the RED loctite an EZ out took the broken bolt out.

Now my kickstarter has anti-seize in the pivot AND bolts with 10mm heads holding it together and on the shaft with Blue loctite.

Better than new!
Old 12-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey Clay, here's a change for ya.

Rich told me that the kickstarters tend to kind of seize up and won't rotate out. Probably made worse since I won't be using it much. He suggested greasing it.

First off, the Torx bolt was an instant flashback to what people are saying here. Whatever.

I went to remove the bolt on top in order to pull off the kick lever to grease it and the head of the bolt broke off. Now that it's broken off I can see a liberal amount of red loctite down in there. Must be the red non-removable loctite.

Needless to say I'm NOT happy that my bike is broken before I've ridden it even once. I was super scared to even try to remove the bolt in the shaft but I had to try. It came out so now I'm going to be drilling and heating and trying to E-Z out a broken bolt on my as yet to be ridden bike.

Something to tell your Spanish friends.
Bob,
The bike didn't break. It did what it was supposed to do. The bolt was supposed to have loctite on it. Somebody broke it while working on it.
Clay
Old 12-31-2010, 07:52 PM

Are you serious??

Last edited by Bobt250; 01-01-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you serious??

I tried to REMOVE a bolt and it broke.

I want you to tell me how to remove a bolt any different than turning it counterclockwise. You're blaming ME for turning a bolt counterclockwise to remove it and it broke because it was welded in there with the red loctite????

Tell me what to do different!

I understand the need for loctite and I used some to put it back together but I am aware that there are versions of red loctite that are for parts that are NOT meant to be removed.

EDIT: Oh I get it, you guys think I scarred up my axle by REMOVING the POS aluminum nut too.

EDIT: Clay says this

It did what it's supposed to do???

Since when are bolts supposed to break when you try to REMOVE them??

Where is that in the manual???
Bob,
No I wasn't serious. I'm seldom serious. Didn't you see the smiley?

Clay
Old 01-01-2011, 05:28 AM

It should come out pretty easy with an E-Z out and some heat. A heat gun will do the trick. All the rotor bolts and front brake caliper bolts have loctite as well. These should all be heated when being removed as well. If the new axle nut is aluminum I would only wrench it with the box end of a wrench or a socket. Preferably a 6 sided socket as opposed to a 12 point one. I would think that a previous years axle nut would fit as long as thje axle is the same size.

All of your triple clamp bolts should get some anti seize as well as your bar clamp bolts. Along with your swing arm pivot bolt. A mix of anti-seize and some grease would be prudent for any fastener that is not removed very often. With the exception of the ones that require loctite. I typically use blue or pink as they are much easier to remove than the red.