Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Pictures & Videos

Old 04-05-2018, 04:36 PM

Default Cross Training Enduro Skills 2018 GG Impression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xtdwsLY3z8

No big surprise, positive reviews from down under for the 2018 models. I'm curious if you guys with 18s would agree about the engine, the 300 being able to be ridden more like a 250 as it's not as punchy as other 300s?

Old 04-05-2018, 07:09 PM

He totally missed the mark with his review. It could be just because he’s a major Beta fanboy. The GG motor out pulls the Beta from bottom to top. These bikes have been compared side by side by several magazines and you tubers. He is the first person that has ever said the Beta was stronger.

I have ridden both (own an 18 GG) and the GG has tons more bottom end and flat rips through the mid.

It could be that he was on stock jetting which is pretty bad from the factory and gives up quite a bit of bottom end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2018, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

I considered the same thing and asked him on another forum re the tuning..

His response was: "the demo bike was rejetted jakobi although i'm not sure what the details were. there was another gas gas dealer/mechanic there and he's experimented a lot with jetting and said the demo bike was running well. his opinion was the 2018 engines are great but just a bit 'fluffy' down low, but as you say it could all be sorted with a bit of work if you wanted more punch off idle."

I haven't thrown a leg over a new bike to know, and all of my bikes have been 250's with some work which still lack that bottomey punch that 300's (all brands) offer. My response was along the lines that engine/power delivery is an easy thing to tune to taste anyway. Throw a few more teeth at the rear sprocket, a quick pull throttle, or shave the head down and it's easy to get some more snap into em. Chassis, balance, and suspension package is where big time and dollars can be spent chasing something that you never quite get to.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I considered the same thing and asked him on another forum re the tuning..

His response was: "the demo bike was rejetted jakobi although i'm not sure what the details were. there was another gas gas dealer/mechanic there and he's experimented a lot with jetting and said the demo bike was running well. his opinion was the 2018 engines are great but just a bit 'fluffy' down low, but as you say it could all be sorted with a bit of work if you wanted more punch off idle."

I haven't thrown a leg over a new bike to know, and all of my bikes have been 250's with some work which still lack that bottomey punch that 300's (all brands) offer. My response was along the lines that engine/power delivery is an easy thing to tune to taste anyway. Throw a few more teeth at the rear sprocket, a quick pull throttle, or shave the head down and it's easy to get some more snap into em. Chassis, balance, and suspension package is where big time and dollars can be spent chasing something that you never quite get to.

I’ve owned an 05, 11, 15, and now an 18. All of them 300’s and I can say with certainty that the 18 pulls better than any of my previous GG in stock form. It is very similar to my 15 at the bottom of the revs and then pulls like a team of mules through the mid range.

My 15 currently has a S3 with black insert and it probably has just a touch more than my stock 18 down low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk