Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 11-26-2012, 03:14 AM

Default Smart carb my review

Here is my short review on the smartcarb fitted to my 2012 300 race
I picked the carb up on thursday from ups and had a quick look at it on thursday night and took the following pics

Its well boxed and presented , and a thing of billet beauty

Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 AM

Now for a look inside

If you look on the top plate you can see the underside of the adjuster and how it goes into the slot on the top of the slide , nifty idea
Old 11-26-2012, 03:24 AM

Now the bowl

And finally the shape of the bore , sort of egg shape
Old 11-26-2012, 04:07 AM

Ill post a few pics up on the bike later when iv cleaned the bike.
On the 12 bike the cable wont fit into the adjuster on the top of the carb so i replaced it with the one in my venhill kit but then the standard cable was too short so i made up the venhill kit , i made a decent job of that but had to enlarge the hole of the throttle adjuster as the venhill ferule was too big , i will get a couple more kits and perfect it a bit more , but it worked perfectly all weekend as is .
Fitting the carb was simple enough , i removed all bolts from the subframe wiggled the carb in from the left side and fitted to the inlet boot , i then put a small ammount o heat into the airbox boot and fitted that and bolted up the subframe.
I fitted the slide and fuel tank and tried to start her but no go,When i put the bowl back on the carb the floats did not seat correctly and flooded my motor in a very short time , so it was off with the sprocket guard and tilt the carb over and try to reseat the floats , same again flooded bike .
Last go , i got a small zip tie and held the tang in the closed position while offering the bowl up and it finally worked , thats the price you pay for playing i guess , my fault totally.
After several kicks the bike fired up and after clearing the leftover gas had the best idle she has seen so far ( as others have said ) , i left the bike to idle for over 10 mins and she sat idling perfect at the same revs all the time , i gave her a blip on the throttle expecting her to be chocked up but not at all , instant response.
The following morning it was frozen outside and i went into the garage with the intention of trying to start her with no choke as a few have said they required no choke , i couldnt believe it the bike started first kick .
Out on the trails on sunday it very wet so not the best test , but the bike does run better than before , ou can ride a gear higher and there does seem to be more available power , there was a bit of a rich point at about 1/3 throttle , i did try to adjust the carb on the trail but i could not get it to work and im going to look at that later .
The only problem i had is when i gave another guy a go and he fell off , the bike flooded and took loads of kicking to restart , same when i fell off a couple of times , unless you are very quick to pick the bike up when falling off expect to kicking a lot , looks like i need some of those one way valves that were mentioned in the other thread.
After we had been riding for a easy couple of hours we stopped to fuel up , my bike took 4.45 ltrs and my mates standard 12 300 took 4ltrs , but bear in mind i run this carb exactly as it came out of the box .
So now im looking foreward to my next session so i can tinker a bit more and perfect the setup.

Chris
Old 11-26-2012, 04:12 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Nice report Diggs.
Cheers Mark
2008 280 Raga replica
2012 Gas gas ec 300 E
Old 11-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Smile smart carb.

Hello Diggs 345, Did you abandon the cable choke ? I'm in the process of speaking w/ Aaron @APT for a solution. I would prefer to keep the cable.
I'm waiting for my cylinder head to return. Then I will have some more input.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 PM

Nice report man thanks for the info, I suspected that without the check valves. I wanted and was going to get the billet version but that one thing alone was why I'm waiting for the cast one.again Thanks for the review
Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 AM

Thanks for the replys ,
John , i took the choke cable off from day one of getting the bike , but i think you will find you dont need the choke , it was freezing outside and mine started up first kick
It seems to my eyes that the slide spring is a little too long and thats whats stopping the plunger/adjuster making contact with the screw on the top of the slide , ill have another look though before i trim it
Old 11-28-2012, 02:21 PM

Great report. Please let us know when you get it sorted.
Sounds like with the richness, you'll adjust it a click leaner?

Like Nambo, I was actually squeezing the trigger aiming at the billet unit. I stood down with concerns about flooding. I have logged hours of kicking on an old XR 600 in the late 80's. Each get-off was more tiring than the entire ride or race. No desire to re-visit that pain...
Old 11-28-2012, 03:28 PM

There was a guy out with us on Sunday with an xr650 , he spent a lot of his time pushing out of bogs and kicking it, I did feel a little sorry for him but glad I have the bike I have.
I also got the chance to ride a exc 450, it felt so crude and every time you shut the throttle it stalled , good job it had es