Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:40 PM

Default Should I part out or sell as a project bike?

Hi all, hope this is a suitable place for this post. My 2013 300 has turned into more of a project than I have the time or budget for. On it?s last ride the seals on the waterpump gave out causing the top end to go. It didn't seize, and still shifts through the gears, but so much needs attention and I cannot afford to have it all rebuilt like I want. I started tearing it down to rebuild but I don?t have the time or funds to finish now.

Is it worth parting out, or selling as a rolling chasis project? The wheels are rough and the front is bent, the clutch master is shot and overall it is pretty well worn. I?m in Southern Alabama and not sure if there is much of a market here for such a bike. Also not sure what it is all worth with the exception of the Lectron Carb I just installed less than a dozen hours ago. Not sure how many hours are on the engine, and what it would cost to ship the heavy parts if I can?t find a local buyer. What do you think? What would you do?

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2019, 06:32 PM

I really hate to see bikes get parted out if they can be saved. That bike should be easily fixed but it all depends on your market on what you can get.

That said, parting them out can help save other bikes so, tough call. If you do decide to part it out I would be really, really interested in all the electric start mechanical parts you have on the left side of the engine. Really trying to put together an e-start for my bike.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 08-17-2019, 08:47 PM

I agree. I hate to let this bike go period. When I lived in Northern California there wasn?t a better bike to own with all the nasty rocky, muddy mountain terrain available.

Here in the deep south, gnarly single track is hard to come by, and I get the impression the bike is worth more in parts than as a whole...

If I do part it out I?ll post in the classified section and let you know as well. Give me a week or two to think about it. From what I have seen so far my Lectron, Scotts steering damper and suspension components alone are worth more than a broken project bike in this region. When I look at everything I would have to buy to fully rebuild, I could buy a newer better condition Gasser for less than the price of a rebuild down here... If I go that route I?ll hook you all up with good deals. This forum has been a wealth of information for me and it?s the least I can do.

...damn apostrophes turning to question marks still...
Old 08-18-2019, 05:04 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Perry Mountain is located in southern Alabama. Check them out to see if that's something that'll open up a riding area for you.

RB
Old 08-20-2019, 07:57 PM

If you do part it I would be interested in rear brake set up.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:26 AM

And my mate on your missing sidestand. . . .

Jim I just paid to get my rear master resleeved by local crowd. Haven't ridden it but it feels entirely different. The ally bores get mushroom shaped and a seal kit cant fix that.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 08-29-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrider View Post
Perry Mountain is located in southern Alabama. Check them out to see if that's something that'll open up a riding area for you.

RB
Thanks, I believe they do a hare scramble up there. It?s a few hours away from me so not likely to go very often. Maybe I?ll take my dual sport up there one of these weekends to check it out.

Good news is my rear wheels are not bent, just out of true. I?m gonna get the rest of the parts prepped this weekend and do a proper add in the classified.

Never heard about the calipers mushrooming out, good to know. I did the front recently with a rebuild kit and it seemed perfect in there. Hadn?t done the rear yet and was planning on getting to it... I?ll miss this bike!

Last edited by BLD; 08-29-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:42 PM

Master not the calipers. Masters are smaller so have less bearing area. Plus they have much more travel and a nasty sideways action of the lever pushing in an arc, if slightly.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)