Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:09 PM

Default preferred vent hose routing.

Anyone out there tell me the preferred crankcase, p.v. and carb vent hose routing? New to me 2002 xc250 with 15 hrs on it.(leftover bought in 06) Getting water in trans after my first ride. Could be water pump seals, but I am going to try obvious first. It was a VERY VERY wet ride, water to mid thigh, can't believe this thing walked through it. My guess is power valve hose, but could be others
One of the best enduro bikes I have ever ridden, hands down.
Any help out there?
Thanks

Old 08-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Site Sponsor

Power valve hose should be down and it should let water in the trans. Your vent hose should be routed up and over the top right side rad bolt along the frame in a candy cane shape. I run my carb vents up into the airbox but I loop my carb drain hose up and through the old vent clip on the float bowl.
'07 EC300 sold
'06 EC300 sold
'78 Suzuki RM250C2
'75 Yamaha YZ250B sold
Old 08-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

My p.v hose runs into my air box. I did have it on the gas cap vent frame nipple.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhrider View Post
My p.v hose runs into my air box. I did have it on the gas cap vent frame nipple.
If you run it up it can't drain and will get clogged.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:09 AM

Sorry I meant the trans vents on the right side.

The trans vents through the PV rod passage on the right side of the cylinder and the side cover. On the left side there's always positive pressure in the PV cover chamber so it can hang low and drain.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhrider View Post
Sorry I meant the trans vents on the right side.

The trans vents through the PV rod passage on the right side of the cylinder and the side cover. On the left side there's always positive pressure in the PV cover chamber so it can hang low and drain.
More better
Old 08-12-2008, 11:06 AM

Thanks! Someone has to watch me. LOL
Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 AM

Split the carb vents buy cutting the shrink tubing and run one from each side down along with the overflow, the other pair up. I use the small inline filters and occasionally blow them out with contact cleaner. If you run the two carb vents into the airbox, position them so that fuel will not saturate your filter and wash oil and dirt through if your bike sits on its side after a fall.

I run the PV/trans vent to the gas cap frame nipple, and use a shorty gas cap vent. This is a clean solution and the best protection against water ingress.

Remove the ball bearing check valve from the gas cap if you are running a check valve/vent on the shorty hose. Enlarge the pin holes in the rubber seal boot. I had a funny stalling issue at an enduro last year. I went through the bike, found nothing obvious but changed the gas cap anyway as I had a spare. At the next enduro I spoke to a guy who worked with Fred Hoess and was advised that Fred had this happen as well. I never had this happen before on any GG but I suppose its possible so I modified my cap and have never had a problem since. The original cap's seal boot looked odd like it was swollen, which is why I ordere the spare. Perhaps the small holes were obstructed.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:20 PM

hmmmmmm

I replaced a gas cap on my 06 300 because it would leak. the rubber thing inside got kinda swelled up looking
Old 08-14-2008, 08:12 AM

I have always run a mix of pump and race gas in my GGs. Since I got the '07, I've been runing more pump gas except when its cold and the winter blend suff is out. Perhaps the ethanol in the pump gas and less race gas to dilute it had something to do with it, but the second gas cap has been fine.