Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > Canada

Old 10-02-2011, 09:07 PM

Default 2011 EC300 Street legal in Canada??

Hello new to the forum.
Moved to the Calgary area earlier this year and have been riding in Mclean Creek a fair bit.
Currently running an 09 KTM 530EXC which is street legal but will do anything I ask it to do offroad.Problem is that I am getting older and riding single track that the big pumpkin is a handful in and I get tired alot faster than I like....and thats when I make the mistakes that hurt!!
I absolutely love the ability to hop onto any road and go....legally.
It's something I am not willing to give up but yearn to have something a little lighter and more flickable.
I'm not a big guy either....5'9" and 175lbs
Anyway I was in a bike shop in Okotoks...Seitzco Motorsports and sitting there was a EC300 with all the blinkers,mirrors etc neccessary for street legality.
Suddenly the thought of a street legal from the factory 300cc 2 stroke seems to be very appealing,both from a maintanence and weight/size aspect.
I did not get to talk to salesman as I was in a big hurry so I do not know what the NIVIS actually states,motorcycle or off road only??
Can anybody tell me?
I am probably going to head over there tomorrow and check it out but any info would be appreciated.
Rod

Old 10-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Unless your GG dealer can work magic. I doubt you will get the 300 street legal here. The NIVIS is for 'off road' only.
Dave Fair is the GG importer for Canada might have some more info for ya.

Gas Gas Pacific
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 10-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Site Sponsor

We have had customers that have got them licensed for the street. We can't sell them as a street legal bike but some have got them plated. Talk to Ron at Seitzco.
'07 EC300 sold
'06 EC300 sold
'78 Suzuki RM250C2
'75 Yamaha YZ250B sold
Old 10-03-2011, 09:27 AM

There is quite a difference between street legal and street plated.

I got mine plated but I wont be shocked if the MTO takes my plate back someday.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:39 PM

Went out to dealer to look at the bike I was talking about and it's sold.
Had a good talk with Ron there about registering for the street.
He could not tell me what the paperwork says and the lady who handles all the paper wasn't there....
He does know several that have bought and registered the EC300 for the street.
The model that comes equipped with horn,blinkers,license plate bracket is a Euro model,he has none of them left...
Old 10-07-2011, 04:21 PM

i bought my nambo from ron at sietzco, amazing customer service and think there great guys! but ive also dealt with scottyR on a few bikes and hes the guy that always seems to have stock on gassers im looking for at a great price. if your serious about picking one up he will get it to you within the week. ive had 2 shipped out here from ontario this year and i had them at the airport terminal within 3 days, a very reliable guy!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:15 AM

Thanks Trev. I have a couple big "deals" in the works and i will let you know first.

Here is the dilemma with the EU spec bikes that GG Pacific seems to insist on ordering. Yes, the come with turn signals and horns etc.. BUT, they come with an EU VIN that in SOME, not all provinces, makes them next to impossible to register for street and in Ontario, it is even difficult to register them for off-road. The MTO computer spits out the VIN and thinks it is a Chinese bike. I had a customer call me and asked why he couldnt get the 2011 250 Six Days he bought in Quebec registered in Ontario. I knew right away what the problem was. He bought the bike 6hrs away for $200 less than what I quoted but now he cant register it.

No matter who you buy one from, I would suggest only buying one with a North American style VIN if a plate is important to you. The easiest way to tell what VIN it has it to check the 10th digit of the VIN. A 2011 should have a B in the 10th digit. If it doesnt, it is a EU spec bike.

You can call or email me if you have any questions or want to talk about bikes. I have some killer deals on 2011s right now and am taking deposits on 12s for December delivery.

Scott Rocher
(519)393-6660
Old 10-13-2011, 08:45 PM

Both my Gassers are euro spec, and I was able to plate them in Calgary. It seems to depend on the registry as to how much hassle it is, but my 2010 was easy, they even asked me if it was on or off road. With the 2007, that particular registry made me bring the bike in so they could verify the VIN and then had to call somebody to approve it, still not a big deal. PM me if you want the name of the registry that was better to deal with.

Wes.
85 RZ500
75 XL250
71 CB100
08 DRZ70 (son's)
Old 10-14-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTEC View Post
Both my Gassers are euro spec, and I was able to plate them in Calgary. It seems to depend on the registry as to how much hassle it is, but my 2010 was easy, they even asked me if it was on or off road. With the 2007, that particular registry made me bring the bike in so they could verify the VIN and then had to call somebody to approve it, still not a big deal. PM me if you want the name of the registry that was better to deal with.

Wes.
Where did you register, inspect and insure your bike?

I have been trying to figure you how to get a rear dirt bike street legal and everyone says no. And you manage to get a 2t street legal that is crazy.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:33 AM

I have a 2007 ec plated and insured in New Brunswick was bought from rom cycle in Halifax.