Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:45 AM

The 19's have a ground wire from the neg (-) battery terminal to the starter motor mount. This and upgrading the stock battery leads to 8 gauge wire fixed my issues.... So far...

Old 11-19-2018, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think it's a wiring issue though... There are quite a few 18's getting around without starting issues.. then others that do the funny crank but don't fire trick..

I saw on FB a few pics where someone had some very average electrical joins.. It could be that as well.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudolfHucker View Post
Does the engine start if you push and quickly release the kill button when the starter is spinning?

This is something you can do on the KTM 2 strokes with external starter. This tricks the CDI into producing a bigger spark, if I remember correctly.

The KTM starters would progressively slow down due to friction build up in the bendix and crown wheel. It might be worth stripping, cleaning and lubing the drive train to eliminate that possibility.
No the kill button doesn?t do anything. When the bike is cold the starter won?t even spin. It tries once and stops. When the engine is warm starting is hit and miss. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn?t. It will work if I start it immediately after killing it but if I wait even a couple minutes it has trouble starting again. I cannot start it in gear ever.
By battery voltage is 13.05 with the bike off. When it?s idling it?s about 13.35
I shut it off and instantly starting dropping. When it fell to 13.20 I tried starting and starter would not spin with the first press of the button, pressed it again and it spun but did not start.
What is everyone else?s battery voltage l?
Old 11-20-2018, 07:24 AM

I have a volt gauge fitted with a push button so I can check voltage at any time. My new battery will start the bike fine with 12.5v. That?s the lowest it?s been so far. Bike charges to 13.5v while riding and battery drops to 13v when sitting a while.
My previous battery started the bike fine at and over 14v and under that was a sluggish cranking at best.
I also had a problem with the start button not being reliable so I have replaced the switch block with a generic one and use the horn button as as the starter

Hope this helps
Wuz
Old 11-20-2018, 03:38 PM

Is there any way to look up a cdi by serial number to see if it has been reflashed? Before I went to buy the bike the dealer told me it was done. When I got there it only had one dot on the bottom so it wasnt done. He said he would get a new one mailed to me so I left with the bike. The new one he mailed has the two dots but now I?m wondering if he just drilled the second one in himself. Running out of ideas as to why the bike won?t fire. All of the electrical connections look good.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wypipo View Post
Is there any way to look up a cdi by serial number to see if it has been reflashed? Before I went to buy the bike the dealer told me it was done. When I got there it only had one dot on the bottom so it wasnt done. He said he would get a new one mailed to me so I left with the bike. The new one he mailed has the two dots but now I?m wondering if he just drilled the second one in himself. Running out of ideas as to why the bike won?t fire. All of the electrical connections look good.
Most likely a bad starter, which seems to be the problem on most of them that do not start after the wire upgrades and reflash. These starter motors seem to be rubbish.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas View Post
Most likely a bad starter, which seems to be the problem on most of them that do not start after the wire upgrades and reflash. These starter motors seem to be rubbish.

Anybody know if a starter that works can be retro fitted to these bikes?