Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:31 PM

Default New EC 300 Owner

After lurking for a few months, I just pulled the trigger on this dealer demo from Halls:
http://www.halls-cycles.com/Bike%20I...C300-VALIN.htm

I swore off 2 strokes after owning a KDX200 for a season. Nothing wrong with the bike, I just didn't seem to make peace with it. I went to a DRZ400S and was actually faster, smoother, and more comfortable on the trails even with the 40 (or 50) more pounds -- but it feels like 90. So call me crazy to try another 2 stroke.

I decided to relagate the DRZ to pure dual-sport work and get a dedicated trail bike. A smart man, knowing my experience with the KDX, might have gone for another 4 stroke. Somehow I was lured back to the 2 stroke world after reading this forum and riding with some KTM 300 friends. I'll give it a season and see where it goes. Wish me luck. I'm sure I'll be asking all sorts of questions soon.

Greg

Old 01-30-2008, 12:48 PM

Sweet bike! You will love it as will all your ktm riding buddies. Tasky thinks he should get the dealer stuff going soon, or at least he did a couple weeks ago when I talked to him. Hopefullt the title/mso on the gg comes to WA devoid of any orv mention, Keep us posted.

Paul B
02 300
Old 01-30-2008, 09:07 PM

I hopped off my 05 DRZ400 onto my 07 Gasser 300 and have never looked back. The bike still surprises me as to how much more fun it is to ride. I swore never to own a 2 stroke again but these gassers are awesome.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:56 AM

"$4,895"

I hope to find a deal like that (or better this summer). And maybe with armor, etc.

I've bumped into a disproportionate number of rides who either can't afford, or have decided not to buy a steering dampener.

How do the EC line of bikes do without that device?

Rick
Old 01-31-2008, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
How do the EC line of bikes do without that device?
I'll keep you posted after the EC arrives. My DRZ does have a steering damper, and I'm pretty sure I'll move it over to the EC eventually, but I'll have to figure out the ergos first (bars, risers, etc.)
Old 01-31-2008, 03:49 PM

I've been lurking over that same bike, only to call today to find out that it was sold 2 days ago! Let me know if you don't like it, I'll be buying as soon as I find a deal like that one.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:11 PM

Congratulations. The 300 is the best bike I've owned...by far! So much so that for the first time ever I'm not suffering from the " need a new dirtbike itch"

Now if I could only get the 2008 Hayabusa off my mind

'06 EC 300
Old 01-31-2008, 04:36 PM

Default almost sorry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyellard View Post
I've been lurking over that same bike, only to call today to find out that it was sold 2 days ago! Let me know if you don't like it, I'll be buying as soon as I find a deal like that one.
I know just how you feel. I missed 3 deals over the past few months on EC 300s (OK, one was a 250, but it was local and a SCREAMING deal). I learned... can't wait. As spring approaches I only see demand growing.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:08 PM

Default First real ride report!

Finally! Yesterday, March 2nd -- over a month since purchase -- I was able to take out the EC 300 for my first real ride. Shortly after I purchased the bike I got a nasty flu which took me out for a week (at least). Then I had to pull my suspension and sent it to LT-Racing. Last week the suspension arrived and I spent most of Friday evening and Saturday pulling, cleaning, regreasing, rebuilding, changing, and/or replacing whatever I could. Whew.

Sunday I went out with some friends and we did 40 miles of trails which is darn near a personal record for me.

First things first: handling and weight! Coming from a DRZ400S the EC300 felt like a bicycle. So this is what a real dirt-bike with real suspension feels like. For the first time ever I was able to actual feel, and more importantly control, sliding the bike around corners with predictability and confidence. At higher speeds on the straights I felt much more in control. My DRZ has a steering damper which helps, and I thought I'd put one on the EC eventually, but right now I'm not sure. The bike felt totally predictable.

2nd things: engine. I still think I prefer the power delivery, feel, and sound of a 4-stroke (without a loud muffler), but I totally understand why people refer to the 300's as a "3-stroke". Unlike my old KDX200, I never had the slightest issue with stalling or bogging. There was plenty of power to crawl up hills at even slow paces. The clutch also makes power delivery very, very smooth and controllable. Another comparison to my DRZ: it has an auto-clutch which really helps with technical hill climbs, but I'm already more confident on any hill with the standard clutch on the EC.

3rd things: comfort. Good God my rear was hurting yesterday. I had my first real case of Monkey butt, but it was worth it. I'll have to look for a tall seat and get in better shape so I can stand more.

Next things: pegs (fastway or power/pivot pegz in low position), PTEnduro bar riser (on order), hand-guards, and lots of practice.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:04 PM

Belfair I assume. Get in shape, your bike belongs out at Reiter doing 40 miles. Congrats on the bike. The DRZ will soon be a distant memory.

Paul B