Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RobAusdemore View Post
I just bought a 2003 EC250 this weekend, unfortunately I do not know very much about these bikes. I appreciate your thread because I learned a lot already. Mine is just going to the cabin and be ridden on whatever trails I come across, so I don't think I am going to dive into the bike the way you did. From what I can tell everything is working as it should. It is in very nice shape and clean. Now for the question. What did you end up doing about the reeds ? And how much were they?
Sorry, I didn't see your ? until now. I bought Boyesen carben fiber reeds PSR-21. Boyesen replied after about a week and told me they are for the Gas Gas. I bought them for $50 on Amazon. Enjoy the bike.

Finally had a real trail ride to test the bike on. 2 days and about 120 miles of trails. Bike handled really well after I adjusted the fork preload, raised the forks in the clamps, and adjusted the sag to 107mm. I really messed a lot with the compression and rebound adjustments. I set the compression a lot softer then what was recommended in the owners manual. It still handled some pretty big whoops in 6th gear really well. I've never messed with rebound adjustment much until this weekend and so that added to the learning curve. It helps I don't need any tools to adjust rebound. I leaned up the carburation. I went down a size in the main (178), dropped the DKK needle to the 2nd slot from top, and I'm going to replace the 45 pilot with a 42 (I have the air screw all the way out.) Throttle is crisper, but the biggest issue was I ran out of gas a lot quicker then 3 other riders all on Gas Gas dirt bikes. It's going to take a while to get used to this power. The first turn I made the rear tire swung out on me and the first jump I almost flipped over backwards.
Rode a friends 2013 xc200. A few things I noticed was that his suspension is really smooth or another way of putting it is better, the 200 power is so much easier to control, and I came to the realization my Gas Gas ended up being set up a lot like my WR250F.
I'm planning on racing the EC250 in the next Enduro. Before I do that I'm going to adjust a little less sag. I want the steering a little quicker. I'm also going to install that 42 pilot. I'm hoping the quicker acceleration and having to use my brakes (no engine braking) will help my times.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:13 PM

Just an update. I got 3rd in my class at the last endure. Best ever. I also did some test riding and on a 6 mile loop I was 30 seconds to a minute faster on the Gas Gas then my WR250F. I did two laps with each. Not a big difference but if the results are accurate in a 60 mile enduro that's possibly 10 minutes.

I eventually went with a 38 pilot. Front end lifts easily now for log crossings and bike idles much better. Also the Sag is set at 104mm and seems to work pretty good.

I'm starting to grow fond of this bike.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:44 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Where was it at?
Old 04-13-2016, 10:45 AM

Hello fellow GG riders. Earlier this week I purchased what I believe is this bike. It still has the 241 on the sides and its still in the ND/MN area. If the owner of this thread could PM me I would love to learn more about this bike's history. I'll also be sticking around here for a while as I really like this bike!