Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Default Revised Jetting Specs NEDW

Here he goes again.. they all say

Today was a miserable day in the far north (aus). 25C 65% humidity and a bit cloudy. Pretty normal! Elevation 300M+

Previously I have ran the following setups
42P N3EW#2 178 - Bit rich off bottom. Strong mid to top.
38P N3CH#2 178 - So clean off the bottom but a tad lean in the mid range. Ran clean but lacked balls.
38P N3EG#1 175 - Rich idle, then lean and crisp throughout. Was in the middle of summer at elevations approx 900m.
38P N1EF#1 175 - Too rich all over. It ran but it loaded up in the tight and smoked everywhere.

Now today, today.. I decided to try a Suzuki RM250 needle. The ones the KTM guys (*nudge*) have been ranting about. Started with 42P NEDW#3 172 (triple taper with a rich top end). Bike ran but required to come out a good few turns on the AS to get a consistant idle. Also some burbling when on the needle howver very punchy and powerful. Very on off though with the burble. This was meant to be a smooth linear setup from what I had read.

Dropped the pilot to a 40 and lifted the clip to #2. Yep! That hit the spot. AS set at 1.5 it starts and idles well. No hanging, no bogging. Crisp snappy response right off idle that just keeps on building all the way through. No really hard transitions onto the pipe like the N3 range. A little bit of the typical burbling when at part throttle without load but nothing compared to how it was at clip 3. Plugs looks good and bike feels great. Its very responsive to throttle like the N3CH#2 was, but doesn't have a lean whole in the middle.

The difference being Suzi runs lean-rich (bottom-top) where the N3 run the other way. These needles just work and I'd recommend anyone else who wants good performance to give em a try. By far the best setup I've ran yet, and those who know me, know I've tried just about every combo under the sun.

Cheers, Jake

Old 09-01-2011, 08:54 AM

X2, absolutely the best setup I've used in my 11' 250 as well. On my 250 I use the #3 position and 2 turns out on the AS.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:57 PM

I have an NEDJ I can try. How does that compare to the NEDW.

Right now I am running the N3CH #2. 38 pilot 175 main and a.s. about 2.

I really like the n3ch but I have not been able to get a consistent idle using it.

What would you suggest with the nedj? 40p, 2nd clip,172 main.

This is on my 11 300 with 38mm carb.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Here he goes again.. they all say

Today was a miserable day in the far north (aus). 25C 65% humidity and a bit cloudy. Pretty normal! Elevation 300M+

Previously I have ran the following setups
42P N3EW#2 178 - Bit rich off bottom. Strong mid to top.
38P N3CH#2 178 - So clean off the bottom but a tad lean in the mid range. Ran clean but lacked balls.
38P N3EG#1 175 - Rich idle, then lean and crisp throughout. Was in the middle of summer at elevations approx 900m.
38P N1EF#1 175 - Too rich all over. It ran but it loaded up in the tight and smoked everywhere.

Now today, today.. I decided to try a Suzuki RM250 needle. The ones the KTM guys (*nudge*) have been ranting about. Started with 42P NEDW#3 172 (triple taper with a rich top end). Bike ran but required to come out a good few turns on the AS to get a consistant idle. Also some burbling when on the needle howver very punchy and powerful. Very on off though with the burble. This was meant to be a smooth linear setup from what I had read.

Dropped the pilot to a 40 and lifted the clip to #2. Yep! That hit the spot. AS set at 1.5 it starts and idles well. No hanging, no bogging. Crisp snappy response right off idle that just keeps on building all the way through. No really hard transitions onto the pipe like the N3 range. A little bit of the typical burbling when at part throttle without load but nothing compared to how it was at clip 3. Plugs looks good and bike feels great. Its very responsive to throttle like the N3CH#2 was, but doesn't have a lean whole in the middle.

The difference being Suzi runs lean-rich (bottom-top) where the N3 run the other way. These needles just work and I'd recommend anyone else who wants good performance to give em a try. By far the best setup I've ran yet, and those who know me, know I've tried just about every combo under the sun.

Cheers, Jake
Jake: Sorry to hear about the weather. If it was that nasty here I'd call in sick to work

What bike are you running - a 250 or 300? Vintage? Any other mods?
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 09-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry its a 2010 Euro model 300 which uses the 38mm ASII (small bowl and flat metal cap) slide 7 non notched. S3 Head with black insert. Exhaust port flush with top of piston. Still large squish at 1.8mm.

The difference in the NEDJ is 2 steps leaner on the straight diameter than the N3CH and 1 step leaner then the NEDW/N3EW. I'd start by using it with a 42 pilot to compensate. I too found moving from the N3CH to N3EW cleaned up the idle issues.
So if you're using N3CH#2 I'd suggest trying the 42 NEDJ#2 172 and see how it feels. You can also get half clip adjustments (NECJ) etc.

Last edited by Jakobi; 09-02-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:48 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

not quite on topic, but if you riding v technical stuff (extreme enduro type) where you want a lot of traction and good bottom end would it be better to run a setup that is a bit richer at the bottom or would you rather have it crisp of idle?
Old 09-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

On topic Matt

I agree sometimes a bit richer is nice as its more forgiving. I also find burbly rich more snatchy if that makes sense Ie. Burble then hit. The NEDW seems to be very linear and smooth in that you can control the power even at slight throttle openings and as you open more the power just builds. There is no burble down low or slow revving followed by abrupt power.

I rode some really tight 1st/2nd gear single track as part of my test run and while its crisp its not uncontrollable at all. Very very predictable but still makes gobs of power.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:48 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Jakobi,what are you going to do now you've found the perfect jetting?Could you maybe work out world peace & fusion power? Good work,thanks for your efforts.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Good question..

I refuse to do any self education in suspension because I know how it would work out for me Looks like the lady might be getting a bit more Jake time for a while

If anyone else gives these needles a burl I'd love to hear the feedback!
Old 09-05-2011, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

I did some back to back testing today between clips 2 and 3 just for shits and giggles. Mostly as an excuse to get out of the house Lemme know which one you think sounds/looks best.

Clip 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7FfQ5dquaE
Clip 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlOq6WQXEtY

Both have a bit of chatter as the powervalve opens which is more noticable with the ignition in sunshine (more of a hit). As people have noted in the past its more present with the leaner jetting also. Clip 2 feels a lot more vibey through the bars in the mid range and the pipe also vibes against the header a bit more (need new o-rings). Clip 3 feels much smoother but also less crisp/snappy. I feel the front end wants to lift easier on clip 2.