Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

I have a mate who went the x-trainer route. Not a bad idea if you consider that our riding was moving towards more technical terrain (before priorities changed and I stopped riding all but).. But his bike seemed very comfortable and good of fuel for picking it's way through singles... I don't know though!! I don't like trials tyres on dirt bikes either..

And I guess at the end of the day I have always preferred a firmer setup as well.. and I'm not fast, and I don't have any real mad skills.. I just feel that having a broad setup that can handle more than I can give it keeps me in a better position than a bike with a narrow scope of use. I'd rather struggle with some traction or deflection at slower speeds than give up stability and predictability at speed.. even if my intention is never to really ride faster terrain.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:58 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Yeah but I'm only a spritely 50. A mate who is early mid 60s just got a YZ450 to go along with his EC300. It's thrown him on the ground a couple of times and I wonder that he went the wrong way for certain rides.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 11-27-2018, 02:08 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I have a mate who went the x-trainer route. Not a bad idea if you consider that our riding was moving towards more technical terrain (before priorities changed and I stopped riding all but).. But his bike seemed very comfortable and good of fuel for picking it's way through singles... I don't know though!! I don't like trials tyres on dirt bikes either..

And I guess at the end of the day I have always preferred a firmer setup as well.. and I'm not fast, and I don't have any real mad skills.. I just feel that having a broad setup that can handle more than I can give it keeps me in a better position than a bike with a narrow scope of use. I'd rather struggle with some traction or deflection at slower speeds than give up stability and predictability at speed.. even if my intention is never to really ride faster terrain.
Ya the X-trainer route is great for older riders, women, and people who ONLY ride technical slow trails. Anything faster and you'll quickly be looking for a proper enduro bike. I'm excited to see how the Ranger performs considering its a full size frame bike but with the slow hitting torque.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:46 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

This really my quandry. I like the shed time pretty much as much as riding BUT maybe I'd enjoy riding more with a newer bike....
I have had a terrible habit of flipping vehicles very frequently ( always at a loss), which makes me the BEST person in the world to buy from! Bikes sorted and I cant usually be bothered to remove all the value added stuff I've put on.
Locally there's a 12h Beta 300 for 8500 AUD. To get that bike and set up will cost me about 5700 AUD in addition to what mine's worth ( probs minimum 4000AUD). Not sure it's really worth it given mine ( albeit pretty old), looks good and has had ( 10-15h ago) a full rebuild( inc bottom end) ( inc suspension- although Ive got Jakobi's forks on it now).
Old 11-27-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgibson View Post
I have had a terrible habit of flipping vehicles very frequently
Well, not recently - the last big flip was ghosting the TM up Devil?s Gorge about 4 years ago! A-ha-ha! Actually, your RR250 kinda went upside down up Jonathan?s Hill, so, technically, yeah..
Old 11-27-2018, 11:01 PM

I just got a new bike, I did go to demo days for Beta and Husky, I also first stopped at My closest GAS GAS dealer, he had some 2018 250, 300s left setting out front. The few things I noticed were man they are heavy, also the vibration were not to bad setting there running, and I noticed they smoothed out at higher rpm. Also I looked up gearing for most all of the 250-300 bikes and did not like the new GAS GAS gearing ratio compared to the others, the Husky TE seems like a great ratio, and the Beta has a very low first (to low really) but has a great 6th. I have had both a 2011 and 2013 GAS GAS bikes and have sold both, not that they where bad bikes, but I felt there was a better choice for me. The Beta also felt a little heavy, also the most vibrations of the 3 bikes. So onto the Husky Demo, WOW is the new TX 300 VERY light, like very very light, and very low vibes, more of a little buzz. This bike rides and handles great. I have nothing wrong with GAS GAS and I really like all the new bikes and if I had enough $$$$ I would have a few of each. Sorry this was so long, but when we have to spend 10K on a new bike, you cant have enough info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3053.jpg (105.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20181126_131508.jpg (107.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3064.jpg (119.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-28-2018, 05:20 AM

Default Is the 2013 EC 300 too heavy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2018, 03:45 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky2by View Post
I just got a new bike, I did go to demo days for Beta and Husky, I also first stopped at My closest GAS GAS dealer, he had some 2018 250, 300s left setting out front. The few things I noticed were man they are heavy, also the vibration were not to bad setting there running, and I noticed they smoothed out at higher rpm. Also I looked up gearing for most all of the 250-300 bikes and did not like the new GAS GAS gearing ratio compared to the others, the Husky TE seems like a great ratio, and the Beta has a very low first (to low really) but has a great 6th. I have had both a 2011 and 2013 GAS GAS bikes and have sold both, not that they where bad bikes, but I felt there was a better choice for me. The Beta also felt a little heavy, also the most vibrations of the 3 bikes. So onto the Husky Demo, WOW is the new TX 300 VERY light, like very very light, and very low vibes, more of a little buzz. This bike rides and handles great. I have nothing wrong with GAS GAS and I really like all the new bikes and if I had enough $$$$ I would have a few of each. Sorry this was so long, but when we have to spend 10K on a new bike, you cant have enough info.
Put both those bikes on a scale. They literally weigh exactly the identical amount. To within half a pound. No lie.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:16 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

They say Gravity is a harsh mistress. Applies to the scales as well.

Sportsbikes made some serious weight reductions around the turn of the century.

. . . Mainly at the brochure.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 11-28-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN Rick View Post
Put both those bikes on a scale. They literally weigh exactly the identical amount. To within half a pound. No lie.
Absolutely not...the tx without fuel ..ready to ride will weigh right at 219..give or take a pound and the gas gas xc 2018 will weigh 232 give or take a pound...these are facts and can be found rather easily..now add the game changer counter balancer...huge huge...the tx may cost more and u will be hard pressed to find a carryover.. I'm not dishing the gassers 2018 which basically has a 2015 ktmish frame..between a beta and gasser id take the gas gas.. the weight needs to drop..from what I understand most of the weight difference is in the engine...the gas gas uses old heavy casting methods and the ktm/husky uses state of the art methods for reducing weight...it is simple I'm sure the r and d team at ktm has much much more funds available...but on topic..yes the 13 is a pig and even without electric start is heavier then a 450 electric start ktm...however I think if titled would make a great dual sport bike! The 18s are at least in the hunt and although a tish heavy sound to have nice suspension etc...i can't wait.to ride one!