Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchman45 View Post
the ktm/husky uses state of the art methods for reducing structural integrity

It depends on your motivators I guess.. I'm not concerned by a few kilos here or there. Makes little difference to me.. I'm not competitive so any edge (perceived or actual) doesn't impact on me either..

I am enjoying a hobby on a budget though. Outright purchase price, durability, setup and tuning expenses, etc all mean a lot to me. I can buy a new bike with components I like; that I know how to work on and tune and I can have the whole thing decked out with change left over for a few sets of tyres for less than I can buy one of the lighter bikes. To me it's a no brainer.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:34 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

My 13 does not appreciate being labelled a pig lol
Please try picking up an old dr 350 uphill for perspective.
Dr350 @130kg dry 286lb over 300lb fueled
Old 11-28-2018, 07:47 PM

Ha ..sorry..i may not sound like it but I like gas gas alot and have owned at least probably 10 or so and two of my friends I turned on to gas gas back in 05 still ride gas gas today! That's why I say 2013 great dual sport bike! I've had a drz 400 and wer 250 and honestly if I were doing more trail riding I'd prefer the gassers even a heavy 12-17! The 18 intrigues me! Had a 2016 beta 250rr for a short time..felt heavy when pushed...clutch pull was not good...but was a good overall bike..sorry the 13 is not a pig ..just heavy by today's standards..
Old 11-28-2018, 10:22 PM

Yes the GAS GAS is the heavy bike out of the 3, GAS GAS, Beta, Husky. Also flethcman54, is right with the weights and yes there is a big difference pushing lifting and just moving the Husky around, also picking it back up on the trail, it is much much easier no bull, please try one out. Really with the counter balancer and light weight it feels like your on a mountain bike.
Also I did go with my scale to the demo and GAS GAS dealer, the GAS GAS on my scale was even more, my son helped me weigh it and it was like 242 with half a gal-fuel. I had not been thinking of the weight much, but as I get older it makes a big difference, I found it funny that all the dealers thought it was weird that I wanted to weigh the bikes, the Beta 2018 300RE was 245 with a full tank of fuel. I will say on mega steep hill climbs the husky front end is a little light.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:24 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Absolutely not...the tx without fuel ..ready to ride will weigh right at 219..give or take a pound and the gas gas xc 2018 will weigh 232 give or take a pound...these are facts and can be found rather easily..now add the game changer counter balancer...huge huge...the tx may cost more and u will be hard pressed to find a carryover.. I'm not dishing the gassers 2018 which basically has a 2015 ktmish frame..between a beta and gasser id take the gas gas.. the weight needs to drop..from what I understand most of the weight difference is in the engine...the gas gas uses old heavy casting methods and the ktm/husky uses state of the art methods for reducing weight...it is simple I'm sure the r and d team at ktm has much much more funds available...but on topic..yes the 13 is a pig and even without electric start is heavier then a 450 electric start ktm...however I think if titled would make a great dual sport bike! The 18s are at least in the hunt and although a tish heavy sound to have nice suspension etc...i can't wait.to ride one!
Bull sonny. I own an 18 GasGas and ride with guys on 18 KTM's and Husky's... It weighs a lot more than that. Check out the ACTUAL weight on that TX. Not what the brochure says. They both come in right about 250 full of fuel ready to ride with basic bush protection items (fullwrap handguards, skidplate, radguards)
And thats an actual proven fact. Not something the salesman told me, or I read in a brochure.
I gave my Gasser to a Husqvarna sponsored rider who is given free bikes by Husky. His was blown away by how good the 18 Gasser is. Said the suspension is the best he's ever ridden out of the box. And felt it was a much more stable front end than his Husky. And thats coming from a brand sponsored rider.
I've ridden both bikes as well, also ridden the beta, and the TM's for '18.. Out of all of them I was glad that I still liked my Gasser the best. Not trying to come across as a brand fanboy. But I haven't given my bike to one KTM guy who got off it and said he preferred his orange bike. I ain't the fastest guy out there. But I do ok for myself... Glad you love the Husky. Its a good bike. But your weight numbers are out to lunch man. Sorry.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN Rick View Post
Bull sonny. I own an 18 GasGas and ride with guys on 18 KTM's and Husky's... It weighs a lot more than that. Check out the ACTUAL weight on that TX. Not what the brochure says. They both come in right about 250 full of fuel ready to ride with basic bush protection items (fullwrap handguards, skidplate, radguards)
And thats an actual proven fact. Not something the salesman told me, or I read in a brochure.
I gave my Gasser to a Husqvarna sponsored rider who is given free bikes by Husky. His was blown away by how good the 18 Gasser is. Said the suspension is the best he's ever ridden out of the box. And felt it was a much more stable front end than his Husky. And thats coming from a brand sponsored rider.
I've ridden both bikes as well, also ridden the beta, and the TM's for '18.. Out of all of them I was glad that I still liked my Gasser the best. Not trying to come across as a brand fanboy. But I haven't given my bike to one KTM guy who got off it and said he preferred his orange bike. I ain't the fastest guy out there. But I do ok for myself... Glad you love the Husky. Its a good bike. But your weight numbers are out to lunch man. Sorry.
I love gas gas as well...but sorry your figures are out to lunch..im not talking advertised weight...lol..they all exaggerate that...hec yamaha claimed the yz 125 weighed like 189....when it's like 201..beta was horrible at there figures...im not dishing the gasser...but and xc will weigh 232-233 dry...no fuel...a te husky will weigh right at 227 and a tx 300 I assure u will weigh 219....no bs...facts and u can research it...i applaud ktm husky for being close ..pretty much all of there motocross and enduro bikes are only approximately 2 pounds off of there advertised weight...all modern bikes with proper setup will handle fairly well..the g asser vibrates alot more ...as does a beta or anything without a counter balancer...as you get older..the extra heft..12 or 13 pounds and vibration take a toll on performance of the driver...if your younger more power to ya..im not saying the suspension is better on one or the other...call any reputable dealer that sells both husky and gas gas...(trust me if your buddies with them they will have weighed them )....somebody who knows anything chime in and end this hilarious notion that a tx 300 weighs the same as a gas gas xc 250 or 300...on dirt bikes accurate scale the 17 or 18 tx 300 weighed in at a rounded up figure of 220 ready to ride no fuel...the 19 tx 300 gets a 10 ounce lighter silencer and lighter subframe for a max weight ready to ride no fuel 219...ha check your facts ...also look at dirt bike or dirt rider for the 232 -233 gas gas weight..or like I said a good dealer who sells both and don't bs..but I get it I dig the gas gas but extra heft and no counter balancer...equal no sale..

Last edited by fletchman45; 11-29-2018 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Other facts
Old 11-30-2018, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
When I get old and infirm I will hunt down a 2 stroke Freeride. Best woods bike ever. Until you get into the open. EC300 still more fun but Freeride soo effective and easy to ride. Would be great for slight or older rider.
Which I felt like after Sunday mostly 1st or 2nd gear all day.
Am I right in assuming you rode the freeride mostly in 1st or 2nd gear all day? If you had ridden it a little faster it's two glaring shortcomings would have become apparent. First the motor has no top end - it completely signs off after the midrange so you are changing gears all the time to keep it pulling. Second I found the bike way too tall for the very, very short wheelbase. I found the bike unstable and unbalanced at mediate to high speed. For me the freeride was a trials bike with a 36'' seat height - nothing wrong with that for trials riding but the Beta x-trainer works much better for trail riding (like my 2011 Gasser but 25 pounds lighter). Full disclosure: I am an old man (65) and very slow but I do like the tight and technical stuff.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:35 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
I love gas gas as well...but sorry your figures are out to lunch..im not talking advertised weight...lol..they all exaggerate that...hec yamaha claimed the yz 125 weighed like 189....when it's like 201..beta was horrible at there figures...im not dishing the gasser...but and xc will weigh 232-233 dry...no fuel...a te husky will weigh right at 227 and a tx 300 I assure u will weigh 219....no bs...facts and u can research it...i applaud ktm husky for being close ..pretty much all of there motocross and enduro bikes are only approximately 2 pounds off of there advertised weight...all modern bikes with proper setup will handle fairly well..the g asser vibrates alot more ...as does a beta or anything without a counter balancer...as you get older..the extra heft..12 or 13 pounds and vibration take a toll on performance of the driver...if your younger more power to ya..im not saying the suspension is better on one or the other...call any reputable dealer that sells both husky and gas gas...(trust me if your buddies with them they will have weighed them )....somebody who knows anything chime in and end this hilarious notion that a tx 300 weighs the same as a gas gas xc 250 or 300...on dirt bikes accurate scale the 17 or 18 tx 300 weighed in at a rounded up figure of 220 ready to ride no fuel...the 19 tx 300 gets a 10 ounce lighter silencer and lighter subframe for a max weight ready to ride no fuel 219...ha check your facts ...also look at dirt bike or dirt rider for the 232 -233 gas gas weight..or like I said a good dealer who sells both and don't bs..but I get it I dig the gas gas but extra heft and no counter balancer...equal no sale..
ok then....
You've read the brochures and checked the magazines... I've actually weighed the bikes. But I'll believe you.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:03 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
Am I right in assuming you rode the freeride mostly in 1st or 2nd gear all day?
Um. Maybe. Well 3rd as well.
It was brilliant in the Forest. Yeah no top end but hard to get into trouble.
I still came away thinking my GG was more fun and clearly as terrain opened up EC300 all the way.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)

Last edited by (F5); 11-30-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN Rick View Post
ok then....
You've read the brochures and checked the magazines... I've actually weighed the bikes. But I'll believe you.
No fighting intended at all..seriously call a husky dealer a reputable one that sells both brands..dry.weight to dry weight no fuel or addons...you will come up with my numbers...its mostly in the gas gas engine because of old school casting techniques...the same people that make the ktm husky swingarm probably now make the modern gas gas swingarm...trustme not dishing gas gas..ive had em all the way back to when the bike was almost pink and had a counterbalencer and the decals were falling off the bike when it came out.of the crate...lol...