Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 PM

Glenn, you're a nut! I love it. My guess is that if super glue and duct tape will fix you then you'll not be wasting time in a hospital. When bitten by a canebrake rattlesnake I actually called a friends dad to get his opinion as to whether to go to the hospital or not. I'm quite sure you'd do something similar based on your postings .

Always carry super glue.....2 inch cut on my wrist that exposed a vein.....super glue! Saved me a fortune compared to hospital! Couple years later the wife cut her hand between thumb and first finger on a broken glass while washing dishes. It was horrible. She refused to go to the hospital and kept reminding me that I didn't when I was cut badly. So, "fish" antibiotics and super glue to the rescue. My wife is tough and that wound was crazy bad. I'm not a doctor and don't pretend to be one on the internet but I can say that in my life a bottle of peroxide, some "fish antibiotics" and super glue has saved us a ton of money over the last 30 years!

Dogs get in a fight.....big gash....Peroxide, super glue and fish antibiotics......Slice your hand open with a razor knife..... Peroxide, fish antibiotics and super glue.......
See that trend?

Stick through the leg, wow, I'd not trade you that one for my snake bite! That gave me chills!
Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Search for the wife's new bike has ended, lowered the 450 and 300....she's got a choice now! We're good!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 PM

What are "fish" antibiotics? You mean that used for tropical fish? Now that is gnarly DIY medicine! Pain is not such a big deal, its temporary. I seek out the best in professional help to get me back to full functionality ASAP. I prefer to avoid doctors and drugs whenever possible though.

No snakebites here, but they are around, documented Rattler den within a walk from my house. I worry more about my dogs finding one and getting bit. My brother's brother-in-law deals with exotic snakes, goes on Amazon trips, etc. He got bit with a Gabon Viper he was raising and ended up in the hyperbaric chamber in NYC to save his hand. Got lucky, they had the anti-venom at the Bronx Zoo.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:00 AM

Glenn, yep, the antibiotics for veterinary and fish are the same as for "us". Much cheaper too! Vets have a "medical super glue", Nexaband that is great for gluing yourself back together. Off the shelf super glue works but for those less brave Nexaband is made for gluing tissue. I used to keep a vial around but now just use good old "Crazy Glue" if needed.

No one reading this should take this as me suggesting you practice medicine on yourself! Or that I am giving medical advice! I always consult my vet before I do anything and you should too.
Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Search for the wife's new bike has ended, lowered the 450 and 300....she's got a choice now! We're good!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:08 AM

Ed you crack me up! I've done the duct tape and rag bandages at an enduro gas stop, and even splinted a guys broken arm with tape and slats from a fence, but I'll reserve the vet medicine for my dogs unless I was far from help and had no choice. Great stuff!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:04 PM

I just don't tell the wife anymore. She usually figures it out, anyway. She's not real fond of my "frontier first aid" I thought she was gonna faint the 1st time she saw me dig a thorn out of one of the kids, with a pocket knife. My girls turned out great! Not a cry baby in the lot