Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > Western United States

Western United States West of the Rocky Mountains

Old 06-26-2013, 12:31 PM

How did the Pre-Ride go? Any vids or pics?

Old 06-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Well of course....

top of the 949 siting on a jeep trail

the views are nice

Steve and his Beta 300

This is the bottom of a snow drift area we had to get up to get back out.

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 PM

Awesome. I have it on the calendar and am looking forward to it.
When is your next pre-ride?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:39 PM

Looks like you had some blue skies. Sunday was overcasted with a occasional light sprinkle. Did you guys manage to make a full loop or did the snow get in the way? That is one quality about my EC I love. It rips in the snow!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:31 PM

Roscoe, did you get to ride the Beta? And I can tell from the pictures that dirt was extra grade AA primo.

Waycrazy, my bike is so low to the ground it sucks in snow ruts. Any rut for that matter. If I can tractor along in a high gear across the surface it does fine but once it sinks in prepare to hear some motivational language from me as I extricate it.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEB View Post
Roscoe, did you get to ride the Beta? And I can tell from the pictures that dirt was extra grade AA primo.

Waycrazy, my bike is so low to the ground it sucks in snow ruts. Any rut for that matter. If I can tractor along in a high gear across the surface it does fine but once it sinks in prepare to hear some motivational language from me as I extricate it.
Velcro I tell ya! I have not rode the Beta yet. I will,but it is sprung too soft for me, so it may not feel great and may give me the false impression. Steve went down on the springs,he is far lighter than I. By the way no bike goes uphill through crusty snow drifts like that. And I totally agree the foot pegs drag in deep snow ruts.

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 07-08-2013, 12:46 AM

After spending the last 2 weekends, riding the Naches area...I almost feel sorry for the poor bastard that isn't fit enough to chase Roscoe & the gang through 100 mi. of craziness. I rode a 48 mi. loop, today that had some of the most tiring(read: brutal) switchbacked climbs, places you had to zip across slides, and a couple sections where the margin of error might have been 2-3 tire widths. I was very happy to have a riding partner, today...At least there would've been someone to show exactly where I fell off the mountain. I won't be embarrassing myself trying to get in on this ride...a 50 mi. day is one thing. I'm not convinced I'd survive 100 miles
Old 07-08-2013, 07:44 PM

Thanks for your candid post Bowhunter, I'm not ready for this level of ride either but sure would like to tag along and help on the next pre ride!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff165 View Post
Thanks for your candid post Bowhunter, I'm not ready for this level of ride either but sure would like to tag along and help on the next pre ride!
It didn't help that we were fatiguing ourselves by carrying a chain saw, shovel, & machete...and occasionally using them to clear & clean a couple of little used trails. Even so...chasing accomplished riders of the caliber described for this ride, is still a feat all it's own. I've put a lot of tough hours on my machine, getting in "bike shape", but I'm missing the essential "muscle memory" skills that the seasoned vets use to conserve energy...even riding at a good trail speed.

Edit: it's worth the trip, just to ride some of what's available.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:49 PM

You guys are making me chuckle.
Did 95 miles yesterday to prep for this ride. My loops are set and are quite demanding and are not for the faint of heart in a couple sections. Due to a trail closure ( bridges out)I had to change my loop idea a bit. I have some work to do on about a 5 mile section of trail brushing and there is 1 very large log we had to go over. Total mileage is looking like a total of 85 miles. First loop a 50 miler and second around 35 with a gas stop and snack session between. Those I've beaten into submission after the first loop are welcome to go home, no shame. There is some very tight and tough terrain in that loop. The second will have a trip through Greek creek. As you can see from the photo this trail is a good one. Here are a couple pics from my ride yesterday showing the beauty seen in something so raw and rugged.

Enjoy,
Roscoe