Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-30-2022, 12:56 PM

Default 26mm wheels

Hi, I want to buy supermoto wheels to my gasgas ec 125 2005. My question is:
My front axle is 25mm, which is impossible to find SM wheels to. Many are in 26mm (ktm). If I get a 26mm wheel (rim and tyre), can I just throw it on without doing anything. I mean the pinch bolts will not secure all the way since the axle is sligthly smaller so it should work.
Why I am asking is because the rear wheel, the axle wont go through the whole in the swing, but in the front wheel, you can just loosen the pinch bolts.
Thanks in advance

Old 10-30-2022, 05:03 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

just a thought, are you able to use the 25mm axle with different sized wheel bearings?
Old 10-30-2022, 06:48 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

It must fit, dont bodge it.

Lacing new rims to hubs sounds easier. But if you want spare wheels the bearing idea is worth investigating. I am using a YZ axle (and forks) in my GG front wheel with bearing swap. Needed to bore out center spacer as well.

Different caliper brackets are available for different size discs, check out Braking brand.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 10-31-2022, 05:46 AM

So it is not possible to not fully secure the pinch bolts on the forks?
2. I was thinking of having a wheel with 26mm. However I will use the 25mm axle that is original in gasgas. This will fit good in the forks. However, to do that, I need to make the spacer 0.5mm wider on each side (1mm in total). Is this possible? I was thinking of buying a spacer that has an inner diameter of 25mm (for my org axle) and then having the outer diameter the same of the inner diameter bearing.
To sum up. Having a wider spacer than usual to have a smaller axle in a wheel that is made for a bigger axle.
Old 10-31-2022, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobi06 View Post
So it is not possible to not fully secure the pinch bolts on the forks?
2. I was thinking of having a wheel with 26mm. However I will use the 25mm axle that is original in gasgas. This will fit good in the forks. However, to do that, I need to make the spacer 0.5mm wider on each side (1mm in total). Is this possible? I was thinking of buying a spacer that has an inner diameter of 25mm (for my org axle) and then having the outer diameter the same of the inner diameter bearing.
To sum up. Having a wider spacer than usual to have a smaller axle in a wheel that is made for a bigger axle.
You must, as F5 says, have a 25 mm inner diameter in your wheel. There cannot be a 1mm difference of the axle and the wheel. That would be dangerous and will not work as it should. What is the outer diameter of the wheel bearings? As others have suggested, using other bearings is an easy solution.

If you know someone with a lathe:
When I did my Kyb fork into Gasgas frame conversion, I used a Yamaha 20mm axle and gasgas (25mm i.d.) wheel. Then I turned some aluminum distances / spacers with i.d. 20mm and o.d. 25mm in one end to fit between the axle and bearings. Both spacers had suitable lengths to fit the GG wheel to the Kyb forks. I doubt if only one mm difference between i.d and o.d in such a spacer is a good idea. Perhaps it could work if you turn them out of steel. Instead of the spacers between the wheel and the fork legs, you could of course turn a new internal spacer between the wheel bearings. Make it 25mm id and 26mm od in both ends and of course thiker in the middle to support the bearings sideways.

But with such a small difference in diameters I would prefer replacing the bearings to making up spacers to take the diameter difference. However, you must make spacers to fit the new wheels into the forks anyway.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 10-31-2022, 06:47 AM

So you mean that in the ktm 26mm wheel, i need to replace those bearings to bearings with 25mm inner diameter.
In that case, I would also need other spacers.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I agree using wheel bearings with 25mm ID should take care of the main problem and then you can make new spacers for the sides.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:00 AM

Spacers, thats the tube inside the bearings right?
Old 10-31-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobi06 View Post
Spacers, thats the tube inside the bearings right?
Yes, and the ones between the wheel and the fork legs on either side

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc