Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Post op update

May 16 will mark 5mo since my surgery. Went for my follow up last week and the Dr asked me when I wanted to get back to riding [moderate]. I told him that I would like to be able to start training in June and possible hit a HS early July if he gives me the go ahead. Since the beginning he has been telling me that the earliest that he would give his blessing was late Aug early September.

His reply was, You can add jogging to your routine now, flat surfaces or treadmill. Barring any issues, since you seem to be about 1-1.5mo ahead of schedule, you can start riding/training [taking it very easy] at the end of the month. Again, if there are no issues, he will be ok with me hitting the race in July if I promise that the goal would be to just finish and not push it!

He said that I will continue to wear the knee brace everyday until September and for the ext two years for any type of sports. This is no issue for me since my CTi brace is so light I forget that I have it on most of the time!

This is awesome, you have to understand that I apparently have the most conservative Ortho surgeon on the planet!

Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 PM

thats really interesting, im in australia, had a similar injury, just going past the 3 month post op (second operation though). My physio WONT let me wear a knee brace because she says i would become dependant on it and the better way to go is to strengthen the knee muscles and hamstrings..
i WILL be wearing braces when i get back to riding again though, hopefully july-august....
Old 05-08-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonetree View Post
thats really interesting, im in australia, had a similar injury, just going past the 3 month post op (second operation though). My physio WONT let me wear a knee brace because she says i would become dependant on it and the better way to go is to strengthen the knee muscles and hamstrings..
i WILL be wearing braces when i get back to riding again though, hopefully july-august....
Now that is interesting to me! I have been in some form of knee brace since my first visit with the Ortho, back in September about a week after the injury. The focus since [pre & post op] has been on strengthening the whole leg, in particular, the quad. My research has confirmed one thing, that every surgeon and Physical Therapist has a different approach and time line.

I also have got another CTi brace to wear/protect my other knee when riding as well.

Good luck with your recovery!
Old 06-24-2012, 06:18 AM

SO, how is everyones knees going?
I've been jogging for a bit now, and my knee is feeling great,
just getting to 4 months post op, second operation, (long story)....
snuck out for my first little ride today after hearing non stop bikes on sat, conditions are perfect....,
all went well, Damn it was fun..... just wanna go ride some more...
now I've just got to convince my physio its a good idea...........
Old 06-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Hallo. I've had ACL reconstruction on both my knees using hamstring graft, the right one 18 months ago and left one 8 months ago. I'm going great on both. I hit the gym three times a week, running treadmill and doing weight lifting.
I haven't actually ridden yet after my last operation, and I already purchased a pair of Asterisk Ultra Cell. Upon the test ride with the Asterisks I felt comfortable but they' re a bit bulky around the knees, no problem with that except boots rest wider on the pegs and I had trouble finding the rear brake . I showed em to my surgeon and orthopedic and he said they sure are a great protective gear piece but it cannot guarantee you a 100%... All I can say for sure is that exercising saves your knees and overall body from further injuries. lonetree, be patient and get rewarded after, do your physio religiously, and exercise building quadriceps. I've had myself thoughts on jumping on the bike 3 months post op following my buddies but I couldn't handle another op...
Best wishes mate!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:04 PM

My rehab [ACL-cadaver graft] is going great! Started riding sweep [super slow, Dr did not know] with my daughter in the woods on a CRF150 at three months post op.
Was cleared for jogging and bicycle at 4mo post op, Dr said I could start some light riding if I felt up to it. I informed him that I had already been doing that, but only on a small bike and with my noobie daughter. He was not real happy with me but said everything looked good and strong and I could start riding the big bike but asked that I wait until [6mo] July.

Whoo Hoooo it's July baby!!!!! Now to get a free weekend to ride!

P.S. the Dr wants me to wear wear the knee brace [CTi] when riding for the next year, I said "no problem, I planned on it for the rest of my riding days"
He then informed me that even though I need to wear it daily through September, but when ever I participate in a sport that strains the knee for the next 2 years! Whhhaaaattt??? That's pretty much everything I do for fun!

Oh well, my CTi brace is very light and I sometimes forget that I am wearing it!