Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 11-18-2022, 09:10 AM

Default '03 EC300 rad shroud screws into gas tank...

..., are these screw locations in specific reinforced areas of the tank, or can they be re-located?

I'm putting the stock rad shrouds back on the bike and the screw locations at the tank do NOT want to line up nicely, might be the rad guards that are installed on the bike altering the shroud positioning, but I'm wondering about the nature of those screw holes. I have another aftermarket set of shrouds, and their alignment is even worse.

Is there a densified area around the screw holes that would allow a slight position-change of the screws? Maybe by filling the existing holes with some kind of non-hardening epoxy, and just re-locating them slightly?

Not sure I really want to go this route, but I also don't like the idea of deforming the shrouds so much just to get a screw inserted.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:57 PM

Any luck yet?
I've had to remove the rubber bushing for top front shroud mount due to combination of bent radiators, tweaked radiator cages and aftermarket shrouds. I would recommend starting with the tank screws then bending the shrouds to lineup with radiator mounts- sometimes the pieces of puzzle fit better vice versa... Not much wiggle room regarding the bosses in tank. You DON'T want to compromise that area or you'll eventually be buying a new aftermarket tank like my Son has. Worst case scenario slot the shroud hole towards the direction you need to go and use a bigger washer to hide your handiwork.
Moto Farm motor and suspension service 309 310 2540 leave a message
www.halls-cycles.com
Old 02-09-2023, 09:06 PM

Default Made it work...

I attacked the problem again and began installing the shrouds in a different sequence, and I was able to install the screws. But before I did, I resolved to do as you suggested, slot the holes if necessary.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-15-2023, 08:46 PM

Angry

UPDATE: I learned that the PO of my bike used (1) shroud screw that was longer than the other ones, and it pierced the tank on the inside.

Like I mentioned before, the (4) screw locations on the tank looks like they've been repaired before, maybe with some kind of filler, but this has GOT to be a common problem? Why didn't GG use metallic inserts in the tank?

Any ideas? I'm going to at the least have to try some Permatex Gas Tank sealer and maybe cure a short screw into place. Luckily, this screw location is hidden by the seat, maybe I can ride it without the screw. Bad design, stupid PO using a too-long screw, shame on me for not realizing it.
Old 06-16-2023, 12:21 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Yeah sketchy design but with care its OK. My 07 is still fine but careful to use right screws or go short but fatter if needs be. Maybe you can drop superglue down the holes to close them up. Then use fatter screws but shorter.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 06-16-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
Maybe you can drop superglue down the holes to close them up. Then use fatter screws but shorter.
I'll use gas tank sealer (someone must make it) and fatter screws, yes. But I might try to ride it without any screw because the seat traps the shroud there anyway.