Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Question Swingarm Removal With Pictures?

I tried pulling the swingarm off my ec200 last night and didn't have any luck. I searched through a few threads and saw ideas of loosening motor mount bolts, etc; has anyone done a pictorial of removing it?

If not, can someone go through the steps in relative order?

The biggest issues I came up against were trying to get the linkage nuts off and I had zero luck even budging the swingarm shaft (though after reading about guys using sledge hammers to get it through, I'm not surprised).

I couldn't get any of the linkage nuts to budge, thought pulling the top shock bolt would help if there was any latent tension, but that didn't do anything.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Shouldn't have that much of a problem since they only have 60 ft/lbs on them. How long has it been since they were serviced? I just use a 1/2" drive socket. Do you have a breaker bar? That should do the trick. Make sure you anti-seize them on assembly.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:02 PM

Default linkage

I know how you feel,I struggled with my 11' being tight.And it was new never ridden. It's not as easy as other brands,that's for sure. I did get them loose eventually. Using wrenches and sockets.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff View Post
How long has it been since they were serviced?
My guess is they've never been serviced; I'm the 2nd owner and have only put 7 hours on the bike thus far. Bike probably had ~15 hours or so when I picked it up.

I'm guessing there's either way more than 60 ft/lb on the nuts, or something is binding - no movement even with using a mallet hitting the handle.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2day View Post
My guess is they've never been serviced; I'm the 2nd owner and have only put 7 hours on the bike thus far. Bike probably had ~15 hours or so when I picked it up.

I'm guessing there's either way more than 60 ft/lb on the nuts, or something is binding - no movement even with using a mallet hitting the handle.
I am performing swingarm maintenance right now on my 200, I made sure all the motor mounts were loose along with the mount on the head. Besides making sure the motor mounts are loose, make sure http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=0&d=-SWINGARM
Item's # 9 and 12 are loose as well. Back the bolts out of the tabs on the lower part of the frame. If these two rockers arm supports are still tight, they can binding on the swing arm pivot bolt, making it very tough to get out.

If this area of the bike has not been serviced in some time, you could be in for some really pain in the a$$ stuff.

Hope this helps and good luck.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 12-09-2013, 02:56 PM

Start by spraying copious amounts of penetrating oil at the bolt end and cracks, I found an impact hammer used on each side alternatley helped to finally break that sucker free. Of course I had been at it for a long time before I had any movement at all.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:10 PM

Yesterday, I pulled off the linkage rods and suspension link off my 2011. Everything came off ok but I used a large 1/2 inch torque wrench with (I think) a 22mm socket. Everything looked good but it all needed a new greasing. I cleaned and regreased everything then torqued the rods to 81NM per the manual.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 12-09-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto7man View Post
Yesterday, I pulled off the linkage rods and suspension link off my 2011. Everything came off ok but I used a large 1/2 inch torque wrench with (I think) a 22mm socket. Everything looked good but it all needed a new greasing. I cleaned and regreased everything then torqued the rods to 81NM per the manual.
The suspension linkage / singarm pivot area of any bike is a pain in the butt to mess with, but failure to perform regualr tear down will cost you more in parts, big hammers and frustrations.

I know we all have a favorite grease, what ever that may be, but use it, and use it often or you'll be paying the price down the road.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 12-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

True that!

If you keep the grease up to them its a walk in the park. After reading this I was snugging up the head after doing my top end and decided I'd just to the swingarm pivot as it hasn't been done in 85hrs. Linkages get grease every time the shock is out and thats been pretty frequently. Engine still bolted in, linkage and shock still attached. Couple taps with a rubber mallet and she's out. Bit of fresh grease in the bearings, bit more on the axle, back in and shes done. Not a complete or thorough job, but just some fresh lube to make sure she'll slide right out next time I have it pulled apart.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

More info here...

http://translate.google.com/translat...I7ACGW_enUS330