Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > All Other Bikes...

All Other Bikes... KTM, Husky, VOR, Husaberg & Hondayamazuki...

Old 06-07-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
If I could register one, I'd have one.
Yup me too
Old 06-10-2016, 02:48 PM

I would want to weigh the bikes myself. I don't trust any published weights. My buddy is bringing his scale down from NY when he comes down for the 4th of July. Maybe we'll carry it into the yamaha store. I'll be weighing my gasser for sure and also a new yz250fx.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 06-11-2016, 01:06 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Weighing bikes can be done with a bathroom scale - put the scale ?ber each tyre and add the two together
My first attempt I thought it would be fine to just put it under the bike lift and sump and lift the bike - I knew the GG was heavy when that method broke the scale - the wife was not impressed!!

But this is all academic unless you talking extreme Enduro where you are having to pick up the bike numerous times otherwise it's how heavy the bike rides that counts and with its mx pedigree I would guess the yammi rides pretty light too
Old 06-11-2016, 09:25 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

A lighter bike is potentially faster,sharper.period.
That said the lighter the bike is,the more topheavy it becomes,especially if you are generously proportioned.this makes the bike much more sensitive to body position,esp in pitching back/forward and also noticeably twitchier at high speeds and more sensitive to body position when jumping.great for good riders,sometimes unforgiving for others
A slightly heavier bike can add a little stability,less twitchy,generally deflects less.esp at higher speeds which can make you confident to push a little harder.i also suspect the often maligned heavier gg swingarm,actually helps the rear hookup in some conditions.depending on rider ability and confidence,style of riding,conditions,and where the weight is carried,its possible a rider may pick up the heavier bike less frequently...and be just as fast
Old 06-12-2016, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

I raced a round of the local enduro this weekend. First time I've wished the bike was lighter!

Very technical track. 11km loop. I managed an average speed of 18km/hr and a max of 60-something. Rainforest conditions - clay, roots, rocks.. and it rained in the morning too.

I had to man handle her a few times getting in bad places due to some poor line choices... and it took its toll almost instantly. A lighter bike may have been less fatiguing.. perhaps. Better skills would trump it though!
Old 06-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Dont get me wrong,i like a light bike too and would certainly consider the x if it had lights/6spd
Was just pointing out that it shouldnt be the primary consideration for buyin a bike and that there are some situations where its no advantage at all.
The market obsession with lightest will likely dictate that gg close the gap anyway.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:06 AM

A must do on the 250x is, send the head to Ron Hamp and get the squish corrected. These bikes get horrible fuel mileage (30 miles per tank). My buddy has one and we tried everything to make it better and nothing worked until he corrected the squish. It was 1.9mm from the factory. When Yamaha tried to take the hit out of the motor they just put a thicker base gasket under the cylinder to lower compression and change port timing. When they did this it made the squish clearance terrible. Other than that the only complaint with the 250x is build quality, Yamaha really needs to bring the yz up to date. Phillips head screws in the stator cover, cheap captured nuts in the plastic that spins, cable clutch, the bike just feels very 2005.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2016, 01:40 PM

I have to agree with alot of whats already been said.The X is nothing new.
Its a detuned Jap moto bike with a wider ratio transmission.Light weight ,excellent suspension, good brakes and handling.Dependable.Same old same old just a newer version.

Guys that ride Euro woods bikes ride them for a reason.Or 2 or 3.
Nothings changed.

I will tell you that far more riders especially experts and vets who are riding Euro woods bikes have ridden Jap moto bikes and have done everything humanly possible at great expense to make them woods racing machines.
Then diehard Jap moto guys have rang a true Euro woods bike out.
Gauranteed.

Theres a reason I ride a 20 year old TM 125E in the woods.
Its made for it.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:39 PM

Ya know... I've been down this road before. I've had my fair share of Japanese MX bikes and I've NEVER ridden MX, strictly offroad. I've had a lot fewer European bikes. With 6 scooters in the garage right now, the time has come to thin the herd a little.

I currently have a steel framed '02 (last year that they were CA green stickered) YZ250 with WR trans, hydro clutch, SSS suspension, 18" wheel, 265BB, flywheel weight,etc., the list of mods is very long. I'd say it is the best setup Japanese bike I've come across. I liked the way my Gen3 CR250 handled better, but this YZ is a better overall package.

Next to that is a plated XR400. Nothing special, but it's clean, and it just plain gets the job done.

Then there is my '01 GG300. I was in the middle of a refresh last year and had since been injured so I never finished putting the engine together.

One of those has to go. Can you guess which one?

The YZ is going down the road! Is it lighter? Yes. Is it a better race bike? For the most part. Is the suspension better? Undeniably. But that GG300 engine is a thing of beauty, by far my favorite engine for offroad EVER and I'm willing to make the other tradeoffs just to keep that engine. I could imagine that the newer GG's close the gap big time with suspension/chassis improvements, but I think it says a lot that I'm keeping a 15 year old bike over one that has been updated to "current" YZ250X specs. The XR stays because, well, it's an XR with a plate!
Old 07-14-2016, 08:35 AM

Raced the Monkey Wrench two weekends ago, A loop, 72km of awesome cross country. Flowy loamy stuff thru the trees, rock ridges, ass-puckering downhills, wide open fire roads with de-activation ditches every 500 feet, such a huge variety of terrain. Gas stop at 52km in, wasn't on reserve yet, probably could have got 60-65km on the tank. Bike ran flawlessly, elevation was 4000-7000', temp around 18 celcius. Wasn't completely beat up tired or sore at the end, suspension is the biggest game changer for me.
Yamaha is a very cautious company, they don't make big changes........but.......everyone wishes they would make a production YZ300X, can you imagine that? I would jump all over it.