Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 02-22-2011, 05:04 AM

Default Cotton Pin on Sump Plug

I was riding along a couple of days ago and the engine started making a clapping noise i pulled in the clutch, slowed down and the bike stalled. I tried starting the bike and it wouldnt turn over with the button or kick over either. Its what i imagine the symptons of a seized engine would be.

After pushing it up a hill back to the car in 37 degrees (99 Fahrenheit) i got the bike home. By the time i got it home I tried kicking it over again with the ignition off. It turned over now but still had the clapping noise. What ever was stopping it from turning over had come loose.

I dropped the oil tonight and found what I think was stopping the bike turning over stuck to the sump plug magnet. Looks like a cotter pin but from where?

Can someone pleases give me some advice as to where the pin is from and what the damage is likely to be? I guess its hard to know untill someone get its there and has look. I just hope it hasn't ruined a heap of gears or worse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0155.jpg (127.8 KB, 41 views)

Old 02-22-2011, 05:20 AM

only option is to strip down the motor, on this site you can get the service manuals it would be hard to know what it is until you strip it down, maybe with a bit of luck you could find what its is in the manual but you will still need to remove motor etc/
Old 02-22-2011, 05:19 PM

After having a look in the parts fiche the pin is likely to be that from the cam chain tensioner.

The clapping noise the loose cam chain.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450GASGAS View Post
After having a look in the parts fiche the pin is likely to be that from the cam chain tensioner.

The clapping noise the loose cam chain.
Good find, it looks like it, real easy to remove the cam chain tensioner to check.