Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2013, 01:48 PM

Default Steering slop

So my 2001 XC200 has had slop in the steering for a long time, and I finally got tired of it and ordered new head bearings. Turns out, the old ones weren't that bad, the grease on the lower was a bit mucked up and sticky, but I had a hard time discerning if there really was much play in it.

Now here's the part that I am 99% sure I know the answer to, but in case I'm wrong, I'd like to know. The steering stem is loose in the lower triple clamp. Like I could spin it all around (made locknut removal a pain), wobble it, and when it came time to get the bearing off, it was as easy as just tapping the stem out of the bearing. It obviously was not held into the tree how I expected it to be. Now, this is the first time I've had the triple trees off of a bike, so I don't really know, but I assume that the stem must be solidly pressed into place in the tree, in which case, I need a new lower clamp and stem. Am I right?