Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Default 2018 Starter Fix Thread - Continued.

This thread is a place to continue the tech discussion on 2018 Starter Fix thread.

I deleted the thread that was started today. And no, I don't have to give a reason why.... So don't ask...

jeff

Old 12-05-2017, 07:56 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Tech Bulletin

In the new world of social media, instant response, and hidden identities, along with the crazy political world of lies, democrats, versus republicans and everything in between that is considered fake news.

Let me stress again that there has indeed been a fix for some of the new 18's that are starting electric start issues.

#1. A tech bulletin to our dealer network was sent on November 14th. We have emailed several times and it is the first item dealers see when logging into our dealer portal. We will start calling EVERY dealer starting tomorrow to speak directly to the service manager of each location as it would appear that some communication isn't getting to the customers that are experiencing a starting issue. (or there are those that just want to continue a dead end thread to see whose buttons they can push)

#2. There was and is no intent AT ALL of deceiving anyone or ignoring the situation as some had previously claimed. Again, tech bulletin was released in North America in the middle of November after extensive testing, research and communication between the factory, ourselves and some dealers that sampled our simple repair.

#3. Most all of the bikes after the simple first two tech repairs do and are starting great. If after the AUTHORIZED DEALER has accomplished the first two tech updates, and the bike will not start, there is a 3rd step that will be the final resolve.

#4. Please allow time for this tech bulletin to happen at your dealership.

#5. GasGas will stand by our warranty to the fullest in comparison to any other manufacturer. We are trying to catch up on those bikes on show room floors and hope all resolved very soon.

#6. New containers on the ocean already have the updated starter as well.

#7. If for some reason you wish to continue disbelief or have conspiracy theories, please private PM me so we can have that discussion. The previous thread was closed by the moderators because it had ran its course and the fix is out there.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:49 PM

Thanks Mark for the post. I have an 18 ec and just want to congratulate you for your input on the forum. Also, my faith in the brand has not been tarnished whatsoever by things being said on this forum. I put a new battery in mine today and it seems to have fixed my starting issues at the moment. I've been injured since purchasing the bike so haven't really been able to give the starter a good test as yet. Hopefully Australian dealers are made aware of the tech bulletin just incase I do come across issues down the track.
One thing for certain, every thing I disliked about my 2012r 300 was fixed with the release of the 2018 model so I know that the powers that be are actually listening to us, the consumer. Something that the old company to some extent failed to do to some extent. Once again thankyou and I encourage you to have an input on this forum. To anyone on this forum who is an Australian dealer it would be great for an input from you guys too. I do realise that this forum is mainly for US owners but for the rest of us it's really all we have.
I look forward to be a long time customer of the brand.
Regards
JC
Old 12-06-2017, 11:50 AM

It doesn’t seem anybody here is in manufacturing! If they were they would know just how amazing it is that Mark the Operations Manager for NA actually responds in this fashion. This sort of communication and transparency is just unheard of. Other brands have struggled with starters for YEARS, not weeks. This may seem slow to some in this day with social media and immediate information but a consumer will not speak with an Ops Manager for any reason in any industry for the most part.

And also maintain the integrity of the dealer network while doing so.

My hats off to GasGas.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 12-06-2017, 03:18 PM

If you want the latest and best equipment, you have to have a little patience. Even the best machines and products in the world can have minor teething problems. Its seems like GG is on top of this issue.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 12-06-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwoodlief View Post
I just picked up my bike. They replaced the Flywheel, ECU, and some wiring that I know of, but I did not get a detailed list. My bike seems to start better. Not 100% as it took 5 or 6 tries before it started as it still catches sometimes and won't start. But admittedly better than it ever has in the past.
The system may be sensitive to the amount of charge in the battery. Did you charge it? Does it do any better if you jump it from a car battery?
Old 12-06-2017, 11:10 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Is there an upgrade for my 07?

The starter seems a little lazy especially after the 2nd lap or if he's fallen off.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 12-08-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
Is there an upgrade for my 07?

The starter seems a little lazy especially after the 2nd lap or if he's fallen off.

Same issue here with my 06...
Trying to get it fixed at the local gym

muellersq
Old 12-14-2017, 02:30 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

What are some of the symptoms of the starting issue on the 2018?

I've just got done breaking in my motor and took it on it's first real ride today. Some times I would press the starter button and absolutely nothing would happen. Other times it would turn over maybe one time and then stop.

Other times it started up with no problems... just wanted to check on this. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse. Absolutely loving the 2018 though. gasgas's best bike to date!
Old 12-14-2017, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkysoup View Post
What are some of the symptoms of the starting issue on the 2018?

I've just got done breaking in my motor and took it on it's first real ride today. Some times I would press the starter button and absolutely nothing would happen. Other times it would turn over maybe one time and then stop.

Other times it started up with no problems... just wanted to check on this. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse. Absolutely loving the 2018 though. gasgas's best bike to date!
The demo I saw would crank over really strong. No issues with the starter motor engaging, however the bike would simply not fire. Throwing out the kick starter and giving it a boot it would fire straight up.