Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 PM

Default Thoughts on 04 300 ec

I am going to look at an 04 300 ec this weekend and want to get owners opinions on the bike. I know very little about gas gas. I have owned Huskys and ktms so the euro bikes are not totally beyond me. Is there anything I should pay attention to? What can I expect owning one? How awesome is this bike gonna be? Thanks. Also do newer year rad shrouds fit thin bike I don't really like ther stockers.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:08 AM

i have a 04 ec 300 cant say one bad thing about it other then the front suspension is to soft but nothing springs and a revavle wont take care of im the 3rd owner of my bike its all factory beside tires and sprockets and bars i installed fat bars and a gpr stabilzer on it and a rekluse auto clutch i couldnt tell you how many hrs is on my bike its never had a top end done on it and still runs super strong the 07-09 newer rad shrouds will fit it i will say its the best woods bike ive ever owned and she will be staying in my stable for a very long time
Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 AM

I've got one, had it for a while now, great bike, a real tractor of a 2t.. but still rips up top if ya dare to.
If i was going to look at one to buy:
check the subframe for cracking, (take the seat off) they were a bit dodgey but an easy fix is a kx 250 subframe...

give the muffler a good checkover, if its original it may be starting to fall apart inside. can be repaired but its a bit of a pain.
other than that, i havent had any real problems with mine at all.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:25 AM

I agree, I have one also and I love it, zero complaints from me, it is for sale but only so I can get a newer GG
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11706
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-x View Post
i have a 04 ec 300 cant say one bad thing about it other then the front suspension is to soft but nothing springs and a revavle wont take care of im the 3rd owner of my bike its all factory beside tires and sprockets and bars i installed fat bars and a gpr stabilzer on it and a rekluse auto clutch i couldnt tell you how many hrs is on my bike its never had a top end done on it and still runs super strong the 07-09 newer rad shrouds will fit it i will say its the best woods bike ive ever owned and she will be staying in my stable for a very long time
exactly how my 01 300 is... hope to never sell it..
Old 03-30-2012, 11:08 AM

Thanks all, I am really excited about this bike. I hope it is in good shape. I will let you know how it turns out thanks again.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:54 PM

I've got an '03 EC250, my brother has the same bike, and I had an '05 EC300. All great bikes, well built and amazing performers.

Only thing I would look at is if the bike was well maintained.

Good luck.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:49 PM

A few thoughts - I am on my second EC250 - an 05 with a 300 top end, and an 07 with some nice parts. Subframes are a weakness, but so is the rear brake pedal. I meant to post about it ... but the first thing I would buy for the bike if it does not have one already is the Checkpoint brake bushing. That, and a different clevis. Then, you'll have a real brake pedal. Make sure that it is safety wired too, cause you don't want it to break, cause your wallet will break with it! Checkpoint also makes hardened spacers for the wheels - mine wore in a hurry, and I replaced them with theirs - will see how they hold up. Aside from those items, the bike has been rock solid. Had it been maintained better by the prior owner, lots of items would have lasted alot longer. The motor is awesome - mine had a 250 ignition, not sure what difference that made compared to the 300 ignition, but I loved it. It took me at least two seasons to get used to riding the bike, and was just not fast on it. The front end seemed like it deflected frequently. I changed to Pirelli Scorpions from Michellins, and was very happy with that change, and also played with preload and rebound, and eventually found my sweet spot.

As with any bike - look it over, and make sure the routine stuff was done, and do it yourself once you pick it up. Best of luck with the purchase!