Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:17 PM

Default Just dont use mineral oil in it !

Ok so i have struggled with the `11 Six Days and the Flexx bar setup:
I couldn't cut enough off of the bars to race fast in the woods .. (VCHSS Single track Hare Scramble) The AJP clutch master cylinder didn't have the clearance to move inward, so I decided to get the Brembo .. My good friend has this on his `08 320xcfw and it is the softest clutch I have ever pulled . SO off to Ebay I went and found a brand new unit in the box for $180. Installed the new MC and shortened the bars trimmed the Bark Busters .. all Good =) Filled the Master Cylinder with some fresh mineral oil(Magura Blood) I had left over form my days on the Suzuki RM. I was completely happy once I go the system bled and working I even putted around he yard and the swimming pool thinking this was a real good swap/choice. I roosted a little dirt in the pool and put it away the bike after being cussed out by the wife ! =)). I went out on Friday night and the the clutch MC was nearly stuck??? Felt like and old cable clutch with no lube on the cable.. I looked down on the cover and it said Dot 4-5.1 only and at that point there was a eureka moment ..
None the less I tore down the brand new Clutch MC and the seals were ruined =(( Moral of the story ???? It cost $47.00 for the new piston and seal kit for your Brembo MC so don't use mineral oil in it !!!!!
And the flame throwers begin .. yes I am supposed to a top shelf mechanic .. But I am Human too +) I missed my favorite race of the season because of it so be gentle ..???

]| DUAL SPORT ARMORY Suspension
]| Hampton Roads HVAC.com Contracting

"You mean I have to put oil on the gas too?"
" Where is Kutcher ?"

Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtriplett View Post
Ok so i have struggled with the `11 Six Days and the Flexx bar setup:
I couldn't cut enough off of the bars to race fast in the woods .. (VCHSS Single track Hare Scramble) The AJP clutch master cylinder didn't have the clearance to move inward, so I decided to get the Brembo .. My good friend has this on his `08 320xcfw and it is the softest clutch I have ever pulled . SO off to Ebay I went and found a brand new unit in the box for $180. Installed the new MC and shortened the bars trimmed the Bark Busters .. all Good =) Filled the Master Cylinder with some fresh mineral oil(Magura Blood) I had left over form my days on the Suzuki RM. I was completely happy once I go the system bled and working I even putted around he yard and the swimming pool thinking this was a real good swap/choice. I roosted a little dirt in the pool and put it away the bike after being cussed out by the wife ! =)). I went out on Friday night and the the clutch MC was nearly stuck??? Felt like and old cable clutch with no lube on the cable.. I looked down on the cover and it said Dot 4-5.1 only and at that point there was a eureka moment ..
None the less I tore down the brand new Clutch MC and the seals were ruined =(( Moral of the story ???? It cost $47.00 for the new piston and seal kit for your Brembo MC so don't use mineral oil in it !!!!!
And the flame throwers begin .. yes I am supposed to a top shelf mechanic .. But I am Human too +) I missed my favorite race of the season because of it so be gentle ..???
Like you said your only human , happens to the best of us
Old 06-12-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs345 View Post
Like you said your only human , happens to the best of us
Yep, ya live and ya learn.....
Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 PM

No flaming from me but next time post out that you need some help/part. I'm in Powhatan, VA and would have loaned you one from one of my bikes so you wouldn't have missed the race.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:44 AM

JD, i would have let you race my 2012. If you have any issue in the second half then you know how to reach me. Watch out though, one ride on the 2012 might get you in trouble at home!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

well the other day i was late to get out to meet a riding buddy for a ride, but knew that the last time i putted around i had just replaced the coolant so figured it would need a topup due to air bubbles etc. looked in the radiator and all was confirmed - too lazy to switch on the light (was already kitted up ready to go!) - looked around and saw an engine ice bottle within reach (back of my mind i scolded myself for leaving it within reach of the kids!) started to top up and then realised that it was a container i had used for my old engine oil!!

yes we are all human!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:14 AM

If you use dot 3,4,5.1 and your slave cyclinder is setup for mineral oil it could wreck the seals in the slave!...

2011 Beta 400 RR (sorry )
2010 GAS GAS XC 300
2007 KTM 200 XC
Old 06-13-2012, 06:52 PM

@ TNT : already got hat covered ! Thanks
@ ThumperRider .. I Know that would be the case =) So don't bother initiating my divorce
@John01 : It's all good . I kid of enjoyed not racing this time Have raced there every year since 2008 . I actually kind of enjoyed hanging out with all of the spectators .. My buddy Brandol offered me his 300XCW and I declined

Any How It was cool because My son (Joshua) Had a real strong run after not being able to race the first half of this year after a collarbone surgery.. He posted a 12th in 200c Class of 26 riders. He was one of the three 85cc bikes that lined up on a class full of 125's and 200's .. He smoked 14 kids and had a strong mid pack finish =0).. I'm thinking were gonna convert an 85 sx into a 105 sx during the seasons break !!!!
]| DUAL SPORT ARMORY Suspension
]| Hampton Roads HVAC.com Contracting

"You mean I have to put oil on the gas too?"
" Where is Kutcher ?"
Old 06-17-2012, 09:24 PM

You could dig up used KTM Magura master cylinders for that bike...if u need a mineral oil model or not sure if u can get dot seals for slave cylinder?

2011 Beta 400 RR (sorry )
2010 GAS GAS XC 300
2007 KTM 200 XC