Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:01 AM
Site Sponsor

Yes, Just cam your bendix to the full out position and you will be able to see the gathering spring. You can reach in with an o'ring pick and pull it out enough to get your finger under it. I just tug on it gently maybe pull it out about a inch. Don't get too carried away or you can over stretch it and loose all the tension. This will weaken the spring a little and help the fly weights stay in the out position while cranking the starter. I have done this on quite a few different Gas Gas bendix's and it has always helped.
Also look at the bendix when it is in the out position and make sure that it isn't packed full of grease around the weights. I have seen a few new ones that were so packed full of grease that the weights couldn't fly out while spinning.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco View Post
Yes, Just cam your bendix to the full out position and you will be able to see the gathering spring. You can reach in with an o'ring pick and pull it out enough to get your finger under it. I just tug on it gently maybe pull it out about a inch. Don't get too carried away or you can over stretch it and loose all the tension. This will weaken the spring a little and help the fly weights stay in the out position while cranking the starter. I have done this on quite a few different Gas Gas bendix's and it has always helped.
Also look at the bendix when it is in the out position and make sure that it isn't packed full of grease around the weights. I have seen a few new ones that were so packed full of grease that the weights couldn't fly out while spinning.
Thanks Rosco

So you are talking about that really skinny spring that you can almost see? Stretch that out by about an inch? There is no grease on the inside of my Bendix.

Marc
2009 450EXC Sold to Rapid Dog EURO Factory Anti-Hop slipper clutch, GPR V4, Akropovic Full Ti Exhaust, 2013 suspension and wheels.
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500
Old 06-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Site Sponsor

Yes just pull on it a little. Basically you want to just relax the spring a little. You aren't really changing the size of the spring when its at rest you are just making it a little weaker so it doesn't have as much tension on the weights. Be careful not to let the bendix go back to the closed position while you have the spring pulled out. I haven't had it happen yet but it looks like it could mangle the spring a little if it did.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:45 AM

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...2&postcount=31

Some ideas on spring stretching from another estart tpoic.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco View Post
Yes just pull on it a little. Basically you want to just relax the spring a little. You aren't really changing the size of the spring when its at rest you are just making it a little weaker so it doesn't have as much tension on the weights. Be careful not to let the bendix go back to the closed position while you have the spring pulled out. I haven't had it happen yet but it looks like it could mangle the spring a little if it did.

So when I started chasing the starter there was zero engagement at all. The only thing the bendix would do is spin. So I took everything off the bike and stretched out the little spring within the bendix and I shimmed the starter from the two bolts that hold it on. Well it seems like it really wants to work now and does engage a bit. The first time I pushed the button the bike was in gear and it actually moved the bike The sound is very similar to what my 09 KTM 300XC starter sounded like before it would engage. I dont know if the battery is just weak now or if am just not quite there. Let me know if you guys have any ideas at this point. The battery is a Shorai.

Marc
2009 450EXC Sold to Rapid Dog EURO Factory Anti-Hop slipper clutch, GPR V4, Akropovic Full Ti Exhaust, 2013 suspension and wheels.
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500
Old 06-10-2014, 10:28 AM

Jump it from a car battery and see if it improves. If there is no difference, then your bike battery is OK. I use the 8cell Ballistic battery as it has with a higher cold cranking rating than the Shorai.

The easy way to test for engagement is to tape the bendix fully open and reassemble the case and bendix (no starter motor). Oscillate the bendix top gear to see what the freeplay feels like. Too little = shim out ignition cover with thick gasket. Too much = shim out ring gear with custom shims.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Site Sponsor

If you take the two bolts out that hold the starter to the side of the cylinder you will sometimes see a gap between the starter and the mounting bracket. I usually just take a couple 6mm washers and smear a little silicone on them to fill in the gap. This will allow the starter to be mounted without putting a bind on it when you tighten it down.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:40 PM

Thanks Neil and Rosco

So I don't believe it's the battery and I will tell you why. I did the tape trick with the bendix and it seemed good. Not to tight and not to much play. I also shimmed the starter to the mounting bracket. When I first did this the darter would try to start the bike. So what I did was kick start the bike and let it warm for a few minutes. Than I pushed the button and all the bendix would do is spin . So I am wondering if that little spring in the bendix is the culprit ? Should I try to stretch it more or is there something else I should also be looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500
Old 06-10-2014, 03:49 PM

Ok

So I went back in and stretched the small spring out more. When out and put the jumpers from the car to the bike. AND BAM! Started right up I guess the only problem now is that I need a new battery Thanks guys for all the help! Now can someone find me a inexpensive battery

Marc
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500
Old 06-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamovru View Post
Ok

So I went back in and stretched the small spring out more. When out and put the jumpers from the car to the bike. AND BAM! Started right up I guess the only problem now is that I need a new battery Thanks guys for all the help! Now can someone find me a inexpensive battery

Marc
Charge the battery, then report back to us. You have adjusted the spring, and then drained the battery. Restore the charge in the battery and see if that works before dropping any money on a new one. Free fixes first, eliminate any potential contributing factors.

Spend money as a last resort!