Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-05-2023, 05:07 PM

Default Rekluse delete?

Has anyone ever tried to go back to a regular clutch from a Rekluse? The bike I bought came with a Rekluse. I like it ok having never used one but have found I have less clutch control than I would like. There is no feathering the clutch. The lever must be all the way in to engage. Is that how they usually are set up? Obviously I don?t have any original parts to go back with or springs to adjust it. What are the odds of finding a stock clutch pack or should I try to get some springs and fine tune the Rekluse?

Old 07-05-2023, 05:47 PM

You can go back without issue. Just need to find the right frictions and steels as someone might have done the Honda clutch mod. Selling the Rekluse will cover all the parts you need to swap and then some.

That said, play with it before you ditch it. I have mine set with the lightest springs and have my free play set on the tight side. It's so tight I actually can stall the engine with it which encourages me to keep working the clutch lever. My clutch works decent when overriding the Rekluse but it will never be like an OEM clutch.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 07-05-2023, 06:28 PM

I would really like to be able to use the clutch a little more honestly. It would be awesome if I could get lever engagement about half pull, that way uncoils actually feather it a little. What do the extra springs do? Does it make it a harder hit or effect the lever engagement?
Old 07-05-2023, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbdisco View Post
I would really like to be able to use the clutch a little more honestly. It would be awesome if I could get lever engagement about half pull, that way uncoils actually feather it a little. What do the extra springs do? Does it make it a harder hit or effect the lever engagement?
The lighter, or even less number of, springs will cause the Rekluse to engage earlier so the clutch lever will have more effect lower in the rpm range. Last I knew you could still buy heavier wedges for it as well that will actually make it bite harder.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 07-05-2023, 11:54 PM

SS109 is correct . Ride it for a while to get a feel for it. Setup makes a big difference. The Rekluse can be a big advantage in certain conditions. Its easy to switch back so no biggie.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 07-06-2023, 06:40 AM

One thing I did notice is that I have no clue if I am short shifting with my clutch lever or the Rekluse working or both when shifting gears. I have been trying to do some ?slow race? drills around the house to get my balance better and really notice the Rekluse. There is no use for the lever, I feel like I?m cheating because I can get away with not actively thinking about clutch and throttle control. I also can?t pop the clutch to practice pivot turns. It isn?t that I?m trying to be some moto god, but these little drills hopefully will help with my basic riding.

Does y?all?s clutch lever engage the clutch anywhere before it hits the grip? On this bike it has to be completely pulled in to engage, which sucks because I can?t use just one finger, I have to use them all to get it to work.
Old 07-06-2023, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I also can?t pop the clutch to practice pivot turns.
Yes, IMO/IME, a Rekluse makes pivot turns a little harder as your technique needs to be near perfect to execute them well.

Quote:
Does y?all?s clutch lever engage the clutch anywhere before it hits the grip? On this bike it has to be completely pulled in to engage, which sucks because I can?t use just one finger, I have to use them all to get it to work.
I never felt the GasGas/Rieju clutch was a one finger deal even without a Rekluse. I actually prefer the cable clutch on my old KDX over the Gasser hydraulic setup.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking when you say "clutch lever engage the clutch anywhere before it hits the grip"... could you clarify?
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 07-12-2023, 07:28 AM

My clutch doesn?t engage until the lever is touching the grip. I am going to adjust the lever and see if I can get it to engage half way.
Old 07-12-2023, 02:20 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Do you know what type of Rekluse you have? Do you know when it was installed?

If its the first type (z-start) the lever will behave quite different from a normal clutch. If it is a later type (Core exp or even a Radius) you will have an adjustable slave cylinder where you can adjust the clutch and as a result, also the lever's behaviour.

Please take a look at the slave cylinder. It is right in front of the sprocket on the left-hand side of the engine. If it has something looking like an unbraco screw head, it is the adjustable Rekluse. It may also have a Rekluse logo. If none of these, you have the OEM Gasgas slave cylinder, and most likely also a Z-Start. In that case, there isn't much you can do to adjust the lever action.

The adjustable looks like this
https://rekluse.com/product/adjustab...nder-assembly/

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 07-12-2023, 03:20 PM

I know for sure it doesn?t have the adjustable slave cylinder. This clutch came on the bike so I have no clue what is in it. I wonder if an adjustable slave cylinder can be added.