Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 07-26-2023, 10:33 AM

Default EC 250 -18 Zero charge

Today the bike has about 100 hours on it. The last 50 has been ridden without electric start. Over a night three years ago it stopped charging. It starts with estart if I charge the battery. After 15-20 minutes the battery voltage is under 12v and it doesnt turn the engine over. 0v is meassured at the battery when bike is running. Still 0v charging even if I rev it. Any clues?
Ola

Old 07-27-2023, 12:55 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soderberg View Post
Today the bike has about 100 hours on it. The last 50 has been ridden without electric start. Over a night three years ago it stopped charging. It starts with estart if I charge the battery. After 15-20 minutes the battery voltage is under 12v and it doesnt turn the engine over. 0v is meassured at the battery when bike is running. Still 0v charging even if I rev it. Any clues?
Ola
O volts when running? i would guess that you might have a bad VOM lead. What's the battery voltage when it's not running? Are you sure VOM leads are good? (Test continuity - quick and easy.)

What battery? I have seen batteries develop an internal short where you won't see voltage or current. SLA? Li-ion?

Have you tried another battery? Is there a fuse in that circuit?

Not much info to go on.

Generally, batteries will fail overnight. Charging systems fail when they're charging.
Old 07-28-2023, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
O volts when running? i would guess that you might have a bad VOM lead. What's the battery voltage when it's not running? Are you sure VOM leads are good? (Test continuity - quick and easy.)

What battery? I have seen batteries develop an internal short where you won't see voltage or current. SLA? Li-ion?

Have you tried another battery? Is there a fuse in that circuit?

Not much info to go on.

Generally, batteries will fail overnight. Charging systems fail when they're charging.
I have three bikes and have tested all batteries on the GG and vice versa on the other bikes. All batteries are good, two of them Li-Ion. I have checked all fuses and they are okay. Can it be the rectifier? Its just strange it doesnt charge at all. If the rectifier is dead, shouldnt it charge even more? Doesnt the rectifier just reduce the output?
Old 07-28-2023, 12:34 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soderberg View Post
I have three bikes and have tested all batteries on the GG and vice versa on the other bikes. All batteries are good, two of them Li-Ion. I have checked all fuses and they are okay. Can it be the rectifier? Its just strange it doesnt charge at all. If the rectifier is dead, shouldnt it charge even more? Doesnt the rectifier just reduce the output?
Two things.

1. When you say "0 Volts," how are you measuring that? If the battery without a load has 12 volts, and your bike is running with the battery connected, you should see ~14.5 volts if it is charging, and a bit less than 12 with the bike running, and maybe a volt less if you have headlights on. 0 volts as i have it pictured in my head doesn't make sense. Do you have a picture of your test setup?

2. Bridge rectifiers convert an AC signal (lets say a sine wave from -15 volts to 15 volts peak-to-peak) to a signal where the "-" part of the sine wave is flipped about the 0 volt line to "double" the + part of the sine wave.

OK. This just occurred to me as i was describing the rectifier. When you measure battery voltage is your VOM on AC or DC? If you're trying to measure battery voltage on AC, you'll measure 0.

Please check your VOM.