Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:32 PM

Default Both AC and DC System on '99 EC 250

Hello folks!

I want to put a DC Horn and LED Blinkers on my 1999 EC 250. Therefore I need a rectifier to get the flashing relay as well as the horn to work properly. The headlight and the tail/brake lights I want to keep stock (AC).
So I was planning on using this rectifier, as it is very simple.
My question is now if this would short anything out? Since the rectifier is connected to the frame/ground via it's metal tab as well as the bike's stator is, I would have AC and DC simultaneously running through the frame which would not work right?

Is there another way to have both AC and DC on the bike?

Old 06-03-2019, 07:17 PM

The unit you have linked looks to be only a voltage regulator. It can only limit your AC output to a specific voltage level. It will not create DC voltage.

If both systems need to be ground you should have a half wave rectifier. The simplest way to get DC is to use an ordinary full wave rectifier and ISOLATE your DC output.

Thus the DC is wired directly to your devices WITHOUT the minus connected to ground.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grachal View Post
Hello folks!

I want to put a DC Horn and LED Blinkers on my 1999 EC 250. Therefore I need a rectifier to get the flashing relay as well as the horn to work properly. The headlight and the tail/brake lights I want to keep stock (AC).
So I was planning on using this rectifier, as it is very simple.
My question is now if this would short anything out? Since the rectifier is connected to the frame/ground via it's metal tab as well as the bike's stator is, I would have AC and DC simultaneously running through the frame which would not work right?

Is there another way to have both AC and DC on the bike?
Plenty of bikes have AC and DC circuits on the one bike I have owned a few. Most 80s and some 90s dirt/trail bikes had AC headlight and taillight circuits with a battery for things like blinkers and horn. My 04 gassy had a AC voltage powering everything and a rectifier to a DC horn. (although this was isolated from the rest of the bike) unlike my Honda Xl250 which shared earth circuits between AC and DC.