Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Broke the new 08 in on Saturday

I planned on going out on Saturday and breaking the new 300 in and getting a little tune up ride in for the following days enduro. Then I heard from Les, LTRacing that our own Jeffd the site administrator was coming up from Oregon and he and Les planned on going out to a local riding area to ride. I had never met Jeff so this was like a bonus day, break my bike in and meet the guy who's vision takes up so much of my life now. Yep, you guessed it, this kick ass web site, the Gas Gas riders club! so my wife and I hooked up with them and another friend named Russ around 10am.

We only stayed long enough to chat and do a 20 mile loop as we needed to go home and clean up the bikes and get ready for the enduro. After we left they went out for another loop. It was unfortunate the enduro was the next day cause we really enjoyed the trail ride with friends and would have loved to ride the rest of the day with them.

Jeff rode my new 300 and was very impressed with it. It was good to finally put a face with a name as I had never met Jeff.
Jeff don't hesitate to let me know when you plan on coming up to ride again. I would be glad to show you some excellent trail.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!

Old 04-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Thanks Roscoe -
It was fun meeting you as well. I absolutely love your new '08. I was surprised at how controllable and "stall proof" it was, even in the extremely tight single track we were on at times. I was thinking that GasGas could trademark that saying for this bike -> "stall proof". I was doubly surprised when you told me it had the light (2k-2) ignition on it.

I haven't ridden the '07/'08 model previously and really, really like it. It was extremely easy to ride and really, really quick. It still had the euro legal knobbies - would have been even better with some bigger knobs in the sand/rock we were in. I was amazed at how comfortable I felt on her and the bike was nearly fresh out of the crate.

Like the new shifter position, didn't notice it and just shifted, which is a good thing. The new kickstarter is sa-weet, new kickstand is very nice - will still auto-retract and take your leg off though. I love the bar bend of the stock hebo fat bar. The fit and finish of the bike looked great and frankly, noticably improved over my '01. The bike feels much, much lighter than my '01 or the '05 that I last rode. The geometry is a perfect balance between carve-a-matic in the tight stuff and stable when picking up the pace and skipping along in some whoops.

That seat is hard, but I really like the shape. Funny, I really only noticed the firm-ness of it when stopped - it felt good to me when riding. I hope it breaks in, otherwise it will be a great 'training aid' - yes, you should be standing up anyways!

The throttle control on the bike is improved - I mounted a longer turn throttle on my bike - on yours, the stock throttle - it was dial it on fun. I mainly attribute this to the v-force reeds - partially helped by your spot on jetting.

This bike has been refined year after year and it really hits the mark for '08. I wasn't planning on buying an '08, but...

I enjoyed riding with your wife too - she is a "trooper". Les tells me she is/was on the board for the Northwest Motorcycle Assn? Nice that you both give back to the sport.

Would love to hook up with you again and ride for a full day- I will be heading back up to tahuya for another ride with Les in the next week or two... Your wife mentioned you will do the 24 hour at goldendale - let me know and I'll come out and pit for ya.. In return, I will be stealing beers out of the fridge in your motorhome when I head up for that ISDE you are trail-master for in Capitol Forest this summer!

jeff

Last edited by jeffd; 04-07-2008 at 11:54 PM.