Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Gas Gas success

Rather than hijack another thread, I'll start a new one.
Gas Gas, while an exotic brand, has seen good success overall in the past 10+ years. In spite of having little margin to make any money, dedicated dealers area still alive, even if barely. We've seen TM all but disappear, and they make a fantastic bike. Husqvarna is now safe with BMW money, but I'd say without that cash infusion, they'd be in similar shape as us.

Our local dealer had been sitting on three brand new '07 Gas Gas bikes right up until the last few months, when he sold two 300's, plus his own '08 250 to me. It came in a flood. Unfortunately, he still has the brand new '07 125. The good thing is that freed him up to get some 2010 models coming. I hope he moves them faster than the '07s. I'm doing my best spread the word, and let people test ride my bike, in hopes that they will at least consider getting a bike from him. I've never met anyone who didn't like any of my gassers, at least to my face, but most are afraid of parts and support. As a Gas Gas owner for 10 years, I can assure you, parts are not a problem......

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 01-19-2010, 09:27 PM

I've been eyeing that MC125 for you 13 year old, he is just not quite tall enough yet!

I just purchased a '03 EC250 and even though I have not yet had it out, I can tell by fit and finish that is a quality bike.

I will never go back to a Japanese bike if at all possible. They are way too late to figure out what the consumer actually wants, and their quality is not even close to the Euro bikes. With Gasgas, Husky, Husaberg and the now mainstream KTM, we have many bikes to choose from that are cutting edge, quality and are perfect bikes for the majority of off-road/trail riders.

The gasgas just seems to fit perfectly with what most of us are looking for in a off-road bike. Useable power, great ergos and suspension, fully equipped with goodies, and reliability.

It is true that many dealers are in dire straits, as we have lost 2 within the last 2 months in the Portland metro area. It is nice to see that our local KTM shop is going strong, our local Husaberg guy (even though he is just dealing out of his own home and shop) is doing quite well, and I sure hope that Gran Prix and others can hang in there.

It is a very interesting time within the industry to say the least.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firffighter View Post
I've been eyeing that MC125 for you 13 year old, he is just not quite tall enough yet!

I just purchased a '03 EC250 and even though I have not yet had it out, I can tell by fit and finish that is a quality bike.

I will never go back to a Japanese bike if at all possible. They are way too late to figure out what the consumer actually wants, and their quality is not even close to the Euro bikes. With Gasgas, Husky, Husaberg and the now mainstream KTM, we have many bikes to choose from that are cutting edge, quality and are perfect bikes for the majority of off-road/trail riders.

The gasgas just seems to fit perfectly with what most of us are looking for in a off-road bike. Useable power, great ergos and suspension, fully equipped with goodies, and reliability.

It is true that many dealers are in dire straits, as we have lost 2 within the last 2 months in the Portland metro area. It is nice to see that our local KTM shop is going strong, our local Husaberg guy (even though he is just dealing out of his own home and shop) is doing quite well, and I sure hope that Gran Prix and others can hang in there.

It is a very interesting time within the industry to say the least.
One thing I hated about owning Jap bikes is how radically they can change from year to year.
Yes, I do agree that it is progress and inovations that benefit the consumer, but it sucked when you laied down grands of cash for a new bike only to find a year later that your bike became obsolete because of the radical change.

Take the 2010 Yamaha...I feel sorry for anyone that bought a 09, specially if they bought it late in the year...I'd be so pissed.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:49 PM

Indeed, why redesign everything so radically ever few years? A steadily improving model, like GG uses, is much better imho. Why re-invent the wheel the whole time?
Old 01-21-2010, 03:48 PM

too bad they weren't as good at marketing. If there was ever a bike that could go head to head with KTM in New England Gas Gas was/is it. A few years back a local dealer almost broke it open but a key employee left and the dealer went broke. The woods of New England are still a sea of Orange and Gas Gas is still a novelty.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:26 PM

I am relatively new to Gas Gas. I have been quite pleased with my bike though, the motor is just fantastic and the bike just feels light and flickable like my yz125. But it has that awesome tractor powerband if you need it. Couldn't be happier.

I really hope Gas Gas continues its success, if they could get to the point where Husqvarna is that would be great. Even Husaberg seems to really be exploding these past two years.

Side note I'm up in Seattle right now visiting my grandparents and went into Tasky's Metric Cycle in Everett. Very cool shop and awesome staff, had quite a few Husaberg's and Husqvarna's maybe 15-20 or so plus like 8 used bikes. Looked like they stocked quite a few odds and end for them based on what I saw on the wall. I was a little disappointed not to see a single Gas Gas though. I should have asked about it. I did tell the lady helping me I rode a Gas Gas though and heard about the shop on the forums.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:15 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid jackson View Post
too bad they weren't as good at marketing. If there was ever a bike that could go head to head with KTM in New England Gas Gas was/is it. A few years back a local dealer almost broke it open but a key employee left and the dealer went broke. The woods of New England are still a sea of Orange and Gas Gas is still a novelty.