Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:25 AM

Default Anyone used RTV silicone gasket with any success ??

Have got the dreaded milky tranny oil problem and am getting fed up of buying new gaskets each time I remove the RH casing to try and ascertain the cause. I did notice slight oil weep from the gasket mating surfaces of both clutch gaskets when the bike had been standing after a run prior to cleaning (small dark patches in the dust at a couple of points around the edges of each)

Has anyone used Loctite 5920 (high temp copper) silicone sealant on the cases instead of conventional gaskets with any success. The gaskets I have been using (from main dealer but not branded) seem a bit useless to me.

As there are no tiny oil circulating passages a la 4 stroke, I cant really see a problem....just wondered if anyone had tried it and idf so does it work....certainly save a few quid...

BMW R1150GS
Moto Morini 1200 Corsaro
BMW R1200S
GasGas EC300

Old 01-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

It is best not to use any type of silicone sealer on a paper gasket.
If you have to use a sealer, use something like Yamabond.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Water pump seal?

Depending on the model year of your bike you may have a composite water pump impeller. I would suggest replacing it with a billet aluminum one sold by gofasters.

Jeff
Old 01-01-2011, 04:35 PM

Default gasket sealer

I agree with the Yamabond. I've used this on car repairs, mini- bikes, you name it. On engine cases you can remove the excess with carb cleaner, and I have never had a leak when using it. It's worth a try.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:11 PM

Hylomar is a good dressing for a paper gasket. If your going to go Yamabond without the gasket, it might be a good idea to check if there will be any clearance problems from the loss of the gasket thickness first. Dry fit the cover and make sure nothing binds.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Hylomar is a good dressing for a paper gasket. If your going to go Yamabond without the gasket, it might be a good idea to check if there will be any clearance problems from the loss of the gasket thickness first. Dry fit the cover and make sure nothing binds.
Thanks Glen....didn't consider the clearance issue . Have gone with the Hylomar...we'll see what happens...

BMW R1150GS
Moto Morini 1200 Corsaro
BMW R1200S
GasGas EC300
Old 01-11-2011, 07:03 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I had a problem with water in the oil and it was the transmission breather nipple on the power valve chamber. I tightened them up and the problem went away.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff View Post
I had a problem with water in the oil and it was the transmission breather nipple on the power valve chamber. I tightened them up and the problem went away.
Already done that, plus fitted an o ring for good measure & lockwired pipe on ! - also routed into airbox.

Have pulled the seal again and reckon thats the culprit as there are oil globules on the water side.

Checked for shaft wear, cleaned mating faces with non organic solvent & reinstalled..(seal virtually new)

Local GG mechanic (at UK importer) reckons he has solved leaking seal problem in the past by smearing mating faces with silcone grease.

Sounds contrary to everything else I've heard so aint tried it yet .....

BMW R1150GS
Moto Morini 1200 Corsaro
BMW R1200S
GasGas EC300
Old 01-12-2011, 08:41 AM

99% of the time it will be the water pump seal. I agree that the greybond (Hondabond, Yamabond, Kawabond, etc....) are the best.
How do you like your Benelli. I started my career as a motorcycle mechanic working on Benellis in the late sixties. I still would like to see the brand hang in there. If I ever find a Tornado at a reasonable price, I'm gonna buy one. Cool bikes!
Old 01-14-2011, 03:24 AM

Default Off topic - reply to above question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson_hollow View Post
99% of the time it will be the water pump seal. I agree that the greybond (Hondabond, Yamabond, Kawabond, etc....) are the best.
How do you like your Benelli. I started my career as a motorcycle mechanic working on Benellis in the late sixties. I still would like to see the brand hang in there. If I ever find a Tornado at a reasonable price, I'm gonna buy one. Cool bikes!
OFF TOPIC - SORRY

Love both the Benelli and the Morini...no intention of ever selling either of em.
As far as I know my Benelli is the only fully white one worldwide at the moment...have posted pictures of it on the Benelli forum tho' and had some indications that others may have the work done. - Pearl White metallic with carbon fibre graphics and C/F moudings in the sexy areas.

Benelli is totally different from anything else I've owned... apart from obvious mechanical uniqueness the riding experience is what puts a grin on yer face. Handling is sublime - front end feels so planted due to a bit more front weight bias (engine a bit further forward cos of lack of radiator) Engine howl from the triple over 7k makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. Not immensley powerful by todays standards but plenty fast enough for mere mortals like me.

Usual care needed re maintenance but they aren.t complicated, theres plenty of info on the forum and some have now done over 60k.

Buy one if you get he chance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Benelli 1.jpg (125.6 KB, 10 views)

BMW R1150GS
Moto Morini 1200 Corsaro
BMW R1200S
GasGas EC300