Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Banned

Default Problems ahead for husky?

I just got off the phone with a mechanic buddy of mine who has a customers brand new big bore Husky in for some prep work. Here what he told me.The new top clamp only has one pinch bolt per side, the battery is held in with a bungee cord, the owners manuel is now writtin by a bunch of lawyers, paragraph after paragraph of dissclaimers, Not to mention all existing dealers will be forced to pay in full before delivery, no more margins. And a license has been granted to the largest B.M.W. car boutique in Vancouver to sell Husky's.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Too bad for Husky.

I am a long term BMW owner, from the days when they were the highest quality, finest road-going motorcycle you could buy. In the early-to-mid 1970's, you could expect a road-going Japanese motorcycle to go 20K miles before it was either totally junk (suspension, engine, seat foam shot) or ready for a complete rebuild. (The gold wing and the Z-1 were the first bikes with any real solid reliability.) On the other hand, BMWs would go about 80K miles before needing a valve job and rings, and maybe a transmission overhaul to replace bearings (the weakest design element of those bikes is the transmission).

They were designed by riders for riders. My absolute favorite dealer was a guy in Follets, Iowa, who stocked ONE bike. When he sold it, he'd get another. He ran his dealership out of a single-stall garage. It was awesome. A genuine riders' bike. Great guy. Just loved bikes.

Now, however, any BMW Motorcycle dealer needs a certain square footage of pristine white showroom, and a specific inventory of bikes, parts, and disco-bondage riding gear. The bikes are no longer the quality they were (although still somewhat unique), and are ungodly expensive. And from what i hear, bmw dealers won't service old bikes anymore. (I do all of my own work).

I won't trade/sell/part with my 1971 r60/5 or r80/7. Those were motorcycles. It just takes one ride to reaffirm that. For BMW now, it's not about quality, it's about the money.

However, to the credit of BMW, I can still get any part i need for either of their two bikes. They haven't completely lost touch with their core riders, but they're getting close.

blitz
Old 03-09-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
Now, however, any BMW Motorcycle dealer needs a certain square footage of pristine white showroom, and a specific inventory of bikes, parts, and disco-bondage riding gear. The bikes are no longer the quality they were (although still somewhat unique), and are ungodly expensive. And from what i hear, bmw dealers won't service old bikes anymore. (I do all of my own work).

blitz
Interesting. Your post is very similar to this thread.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/v-...hips-sale.html
Old 03-09-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebear View Post
I just got off the phone with a mechanic buddy of mine who has a customers brand new big bore Husky in for some prep work. Here what he told me.The new top clamp only has one pinch bolt per side, the battery is held in with a bungee cord, the owners manuel is now writtin by a bunch of lawyers, paragraph after paragraph of dissclaimers, Not to mention all existing dealers will be forced to pay in full before delivery, no more margins. And a license has been granted to the largest B.M.W. car boutique in Vancouver to sell Husky's.

No offense, but your buddy needs to take a chill pill.

Yes, the top triple clamp uses one bolt as it has for the last 2yrs and there have been no failures so far.

Yes, the battery is held in by a rubber strap, just like KTM, Honda, Suzuki etc... No big deal.

Same owners manual as last year.

Yes, they are asking dealers who do not have a GE LOC in place to pay in full before their bikes are released. They do offer a cash discount for those who choose to pre-pay.

There already is a Husky dealer in Van AFAIK, so I cant see them adding any more but who knows?
Old 03-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Banned

The day that my gasgas comes with a cast one pinch bolt top clamp is the day that I change brands, maybe to a 74 honda xr. Effective marketing has a lot to do with perception, perhaps there have been no failures but when one is paying top dollar for a perceived semi exotic you want the quality your paying for to show. As for the new B.M.W. dirt bike engines being assembled in Taiwan, thanks but no thanks.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebear View Post
The day that my gasgas comes with a cast one pinch bolt top clamp is the day that I change brands, maybe to a 74 honda xr. Effective marketing has a lot to do with perception, perhaps there have been no failures but when one is paying top dollar for a perceived semi exotic you want the quality your paying for to show. As for the new B.M.W. dirt bike engines being assembled in Taiwan, thanks but no thanks.
Iam not sure about the states but up here in Canada the Huskies are cheaper than anything else on the market. (Wr125 $3999)
Old 03-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I know I can get a 2008 Husky WR250 for $1800 less than a new Gas Gas. I could buy a top clamp, and a 300 kit, and a new Arai helmet, and a set of boots for that. The basic design of the two stroke Huskies hasn't changed in a while, they're BULLETPROOF! I would own one in a heartbeat. Maybe for my 2010 ISDE quest
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs