Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 02-01-2010, 01:32 PM

Default mousses or tubes?

What are people using? and what do you think of mousses?

Old 02-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I only use ultra heavy duty tubes and have actually bent the rim and split the tyre by hitting something hard but not punctured the tube.
I have mates and they love the mousse tubes but the downfall is heat from what I'm told . Fast , long distances can melt them.
Other than that if you keep them lubricated you should love them.
Cheers Mark
Old 02-01-2010, 02:42 PM

I am going to try the Neutech Tubliss system. Alot cheaper than the Mousse but a bit more than tubes.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Bib front, heavy tube and desert AT in rear. Bib is fine in front at speed. lotsa BITD races we average 50+ mph and the front lives.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Mousses are great, especially at lower speeds, but they do disintegrate over time. They have a very annoying dead feel to them for me, and are quite heavy.
I went to the TuBliss system on mine, and I have been playing with them, considering using them for ISDE. Everybody is warning me not to, but they've been flawless so far. My brother in law is using them too, and he was using an old used tire on the front which happened to tear a knob and let the air out. While this was a bummer, it was because the tire was worn passed where he should have been running it. Beauty of it was that he actually rode and finished out our riding day, because the bead of the tire is locked to the wheel all the way around. Ruined the tire, but it was ruined anyway.

As far as changing the TuBliss, it's a technique, an easy one to learn, and it goes very quickly. I'd say a Mousse done correctly is faster because there are less steps, and no air to bother with, but they're far easier than a tube.

Aside from all of that, the traction advantage you get from the ability to run lower tire pressures is worth the price of admission.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 02-01-2010, 05:35 PM

I'm running the Tublis system in my rear tire and like it so much that I recently got one for my front tire as well. I've been running 3-6 pounds of air in my rear tire all winter (5 or 6 all day rides) with no problems. I used to get lots of pinch flats but no more.
The Tublis system has several advantages:
1.Run any air pressure you want even zero and the tire and rim are still protected (dinged rims and pinch flats if you run a heavy duty tube with too low pressure).
2.Makes changing tires easier since the tube stays on the rim.
3.Much cheaper - only $75-100 per wheel and should last at least 10 years if you keep it aired up and some slime in the tire (provides abrasion resistance if the tire is run flat).
Old 02-01-2010, 05:47 PM

I use mousses. I prefer using the Tire Balls system as far as ride feel goes, but mousses are guaranteed flat protection.

Mike, try the Tubliss with an ISDE legal tire. ISDE tires aren't anywhere near as tough as a standard 18 inch tire (like a Michelin S12XC or Maxxis IT or SI). If you plan on using Metzeler tires, beware. The tires are thinner (4 ply vs 6 ply I think) and don't hold up to abuse. There's a reason we change tires every day at the ISDE. The Metzeler Six Days Extreme tires are soft enough that one of our trophy riders in Greece would use two irons to lever a 6 inch section of the bead off the rim, then pull the rest of the tire (most of one bead, plus the entire other bead) with a brand new bib mousse in it right off the rim.

Seriously, just use mousses at the ISDE. I can't stress this enough. I mucked around and tried tire balls in Greece and it ended up costing me a silver medal (I finished with a bronze).
Old 02-02-2010, 02:29 AM

I prefer Mooses. They work, are well proven and not too bad when wet. They last a long time if you are not doing constant high speed. I haven't used tubes for quite a while. It's just fantastic not to worry about punctures.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:03 AM

Thumbs up

Think im gunna get some mousses. never ride at high speeds for long as i only do hare and hounds or play in woods. should be able to keep them dry as i change tires alot putting old ones on for practising and new ones for racing so they should last a while. I also never use f.i.m tires as i dont do any races that require them(and there more expensive). This tru bliss sounds orite but im after the garanted protection.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:11 PM

I got mooses front and rear, I`d never go back to tubes, speeds kept fairly low so they last ages.