Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:17 AM

Default Right side out case removal problem - Help!

I'm dealing with the broken water pump impeller issue. Mark at Gofasters is sending the parts (Thanks Mark). I want to remove the whole WP assembly (WP housing and the portion of the case that surrounds the clutch) - I'll call it the clutch/WP housing portion of the engine case.

I've removed all bolts from WP cover and the clutch/WP housing. I can pull the rear portion of the housing from the center case but the front of the housing is resisting removal. I small gap has opened but I cannot completely remove it.

I'm guessing that there is some corrosion around a index pin and I am resisting the urge to pry it off. I have not missed removing any bolts like I usually find when I have this kind of problem

Am I missing anything?

Rick
2012 GG 300

Old 10-10-2013, 01:11 PM

Pics??? I think I almost kinda understand what your explaining. I've got the same bike and mine is apart now soooo.... Pics?
2002 ktm 400exc.... bye bye
2005 yamaha wr 250f...too slow!
2001 ktm 300exc....lemon i think
2003 kx 250...wow but gone...
2008 dr 650..what was i thinking...
1987 yz 125..started it all..
Old 10-10-2013, 01:39 PM

once all the bolts are out should just pull off but push with your thumb on the kick start shaft so you dont pull that aswel easier just to leave it in place on the engine
Old 10-10-2013, 02:01 PM

I had the very same issue when I went to remove mine. There is a dowel right at the water pump. And that dowel was pretty rusty which was the reason mine was so hard to get off. I just kept working it back and forth and pried it off eventually.

Once off I cleaned the dowel up very well with emery cloth and then during installation I covered it with Motor Assembly Lube from Honda.

Be patient it will come off.....
Old 10-10-2013, 02:21 PM

Thanks StuJohnson...that is exactly where mine is hanging-up. I'll keep working it
Old 10-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Rubber mallet and some light tapping back and forward will help with the process.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I had similar issues, and took a piece of alum angle iron,drilled two holes corresponding with the water pump cover,and used the angle as leverage wiggling back and forth until free. it did take awhile as I was extra cautious.
The dowel was rusty as well.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john r b View Post
I had similar issues, and took a piece of alum angle iron,drilled two holes corresponding with the water pump cover,and used the angle as leverage wiggling back and forth until free. it did take awhile as I was extra cautious.
The dowel was rusty as well.
How is the dowel getting rusty. Are you running just plan water in the system?

Coolant will become acidic if not changed every so often, or if non-distilled water was used, or if different types of antifreeze were mixed (either by adding a different type or by not flushing thoroughly, or by using one of the organic acid-based extended life coolants.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
How is the dowel getting rusty. Are you running just plan water in the system?

Coolant will become acidic if not changed every so often, or if non-distilled water was used, or if different types of antifreeze were mixed (either by adding a different type or by not flushing thoroughly, or by using one of the organic acid-based extended life coolants.
The dowel gets rusty as water gets around the bolt head and rusts from the inside out. Very common, even on Japanese bikes (in my experience). You need to put a dab of sealant around the bolt mating surface during installation to prevent further occurrences.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:59 AM

Wink

C'mon plain water really.... Go out to your bike and take a close look. The bolt hole goes THROUGH the case. I realize in AZ you don't get the rain amounts
as others. A little dab of silicone solved the problem.