Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:21 AM

Default true or myth. 2006 GAS EC250/300 sold as

Hello true or myth the 2006 GASGAS EC250/300 sold as STREET LEGAL in Canada off the showroom Floor?

Old 12-13-2013, 10:17 AM

Not a chance. Sometimes owners will manage to get them through the provincial registration process and get a blue plate (onroad), but this is not commonly done. Also note that if the bikes had European VINs there would be problems registering them for green plate (offroad) use. Current bikes have North American compliant VINs and can be registered for offroad use.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
Hello true or myth the 2006 GASGAS EC250/300 sold as STREET LEGAL in Canada off the showroom Floor?
There were various years of EC200/250/300 sold in Canada as Street Legal, directly from the show room floors. I don't remember which years, but it absolutely did happen. The bikes were equipped similarly as the 2012 Euro/Aus EC250/300 (non-race version) which included all street legal equipment... Signal lights, horn, license plate light, high/low beam, mirrors, etc.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrcrocks View Post
There were various years of EC200/250/300 sold in Canada as Street Legal, directly from the show room floors. I don't remember which years, but it absolutely did happen. The bikes were equipped similarly as the 2012 Euro/Aus EC250/300 (non-race version) which included all street legal equipment... Signal lights, horn, license plate light, high/low beam, mirrors, etc.
Absolutely false. GasGas bikes have never been transport Canada approved. There may have been some dealers that sold them street plated from new, but it was not really legal. All comes down to the DMV rules in your area. We can get almost anything street plated here if you go about it the right way. The nivis has always clearly stated offroad use only. I know some guys that just cut the bottom of the nivis off and remove that sentence.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:49 PM

They weren't technically sold as 'street legal' as noted in the posts above, but they did come with the stuff to make them 'legal'.

They met all the requirements except smog tests, so that's good enough in my book. If some have street plates on them, that's a good thing as the world is a better place with licensed, insured dirtbikes. The more, the better. Besides, Transport Canada has approved many vehicles for the road that should never have been built or sold in the first place, so it's not like they really know what they're doing in this regard........
Old 12-13-2013, 06:44 PM

Actually in British Columbia you could have. The government closed up the loop hole 3 years ago.,but the bikes that were plated are grandfathered in . I used to have a plated crf 450x.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas View Post
Absolutely false. GasGas bikes have never been transport Canada approved. There may have been some dealers that sold them street plated from new, but it was not really legal. All comes down to the DMV rules in your area. We can get almost anything street plated here if you go about it the right way. The nivis has always clearly stated offroad use only. I know some guys that just cut the bottom of the nivis off and remove that sentence.
Well, they were certainly sold in NB as street legal from the dealer. But then again, that dealer closed for a reason.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Banned

You kind of have two separate issues here:
1. Street legal for the manufacturer/distributor equals all the equipment plus emissions compliance. No two stroke will meet any US or Canadian regs.
2. The local governments usually have no clue about the emissions thing and will issue a tag based on equipment, not emission compliance.

I get real nervous when someone tells me they can get one of our motorcycles plated locally because we absolutely do not bring in anything that is street legal. Claiming that we do could cost me my Competition Exemption and put us out of business.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
You kind of have two separate issues here:
1. Street legal for the manufacturer/distributor equals all the equipment plus emissions compliance. No two stroke will meet any US or Canadian regs.
2. The local governments usually have no clue about the emissions thing and will issue a tag based on equipment, not emission compliance.

I get real nervous when someone tells me they can get one of our motorcycles plated locally because we absolutely do not bring in anything that is street legal. Claiming that we do could cost me my Competition Exemption and put us out of business.
The one dealer in our province closed doors some time ago. They had faced several lawsuits for business decisions that may have had some shadiness associated with them.
There has never been another GasGas dealer in New Brunswick since. I have to go out of province or online to get anything I may want or need.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I purchased a 2001 gasgas ec300 from canada in 2001 and "imported" it into the U.S. - I met Don Clarke, the importer, in no man's land at the border to take delivery. All documentation clearly stated it was off road use only and he told me he had gotten in trouble with Canadian authorities when a dealer sold one of his bikes as road legal. Big trouble...

So were these generally sold as road legal in 2006? Definitely false.

jeff