Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:50 AM

Default cold weather gear best options / tricks

best cold weather gear and tips for keeping warm out on the trail please

Old 12-07-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishgas View Post
best cold weather gear and tips for keeping warm out on the trail please
"Cold" is a relative term. I'm known to ride in weather well below freezing & worse. Give a description of your worse case scenario. Cold weather leans out your jetting, so keeping your bike happy is just as important.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:28 AM

after many years I would think I have this figured out. I keep trying different things and learning. My response can be qualified on what I know today

neoprene socks. I have never found any boots that keep your feet dry. Finally I broke down and bought some Neoprene socks. Definitely keep my feet dry. My next test to see if some smartwool socks under the neoprene is a good idea of not.

I have owned a Moose XCR jacket for years. I always thought it was ok. Over time I have went to body protector instead of the traditional chest protectors. I actually have 2 body protectors. One for cool weather and one for warmer weather. The magic I have found for cold is layering as follows. Form fitting base layer (Nike cold gear, poly polypropylene underware, smartwool, ....) I then put on my warm weather body armor over the base layer. Next comes my Moose XCR jacket (The XCR has many large zippered vents). If you noticed, I do not use a Jersey. Why do I like this? When I start my ride the coat and zippers are all sealed up and I'm comfortable. Once I start to warm up I open up the zippers on the jacket to control the cooling and the amount I sweat. A jersey would impede the air from getting to the base layer. With the body Armor only air gets to the base layer. If conditions change just zip up. I have used this setup form 20 to 60 degrees f. Depending on the temperature I change the amount of base layer. If it rains the wet surface of the coat is against the plastic of the body armor keeping the moisture from wicking to the base layer. I've actually used a similar set up riding my Mountain bike. In the case it is a high wicking fleece top with the XCR jacket shell.

I like over the boot pants when it is cold. Use a base layer depending on temperature.

I use regular gloves but put on the very large Moose hand protectors (elephant ears).

In my past life I lived in the north and did a lot of snowmobiling. The gear for that keeps you worm no issues. I've used that riding bikes in the snow. I have noticed they sell gear for snow cross racing that looks like it would work well for cold weather biking. Hopefully this tread may have someone who used it and can comment.

I look forward to reading what others are doing.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:29 PM

I spent a lot of money on some Sinisalo winter gloves never won them too thick and you soon warm up!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:11 PM

I've always just worn under armour and a few layers. I can't wear thick gloves either and don't like being bundled up. Even if it's -15c as long as it's not windy I'm good with my layers and regular riding gear!
Old 12-07-2013, 02:31 PM

I'm all about base layers. They keep you warm, & wick moisture away from skin. I swear my feet are radiators(they get hot). I like smartwool socks. Water leaking into my boots helps cool my feet, while the smartwool keeps them from getting cold. I usually just wear a Fox airframe over a windbreaker type jacket. Most winter riding in the Puget Sound region of WA. is done in temps ranging from 35F-45F. Add rain, and you have the perfect storm for hypothermia. Being an avid outdoorsman, I have a large assortment of winter clothing. I give my best guess as to what I'll need, and bring extra in waterproof container in my backpack. Riding Tahuya or Walker Valley only requires a quick loop to the trailhead to change if/when necessary.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:24 PM

Similar to Trev, my regular riding gear with an extra layer of fleece and a wind stop jacket. Only other change from summer is bar muffs. good to -15 celsius.
2011 Husaberg FE390 - OLD STEED
2010 Yamaha WR250F - OLD STEED
#53B

I dream of a better tomorrow, where Chickens can cross the road, and not be questioned about their intentions.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:25 PM

We all have different ideas of what cold is. These are my tips for below O degree celsius riding single-track on studded tires.

Always start with a dri-fit layer - my brother is an Adidas bigwig so I've got loads of this gear.

If it's really cold, you need a fleece on top of the dri-fit. Then wrap it all in some type of Gore-Tex shell (or similar fabric) that lets moisture out.

If you're working hard you must vent the moisture your body produces. If not, as soon as you stop working, the moisture makes you cold, real fast.

My biggest problem is with cold hands. If I wear heavy gloves in the single-track and get sweaty, when I stop, cold hands are gonna happen.

I try to keep my hands harm and use light gloves. Here's my set-up for this winter - Big muffs, grip warmers and Royal 'Minus' gloves. Let's hope it works.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:08 AM

Default cold hands

once my hands get cold , they don't warm back up. I hate thick gloves. I do use muffs but I think I get a bigger effect from the little chemical warmers i put on the back of my hands , in the gloves. I wear the mechanix type gloves and I never notice the size of the warmers once I'm riding. I have also thrown a warmer into each muff trying to warm up the levers; my fingers could immediately feel the cold and I think they helped.
Muffs are dangerous if you get pitched forwards.
Using layers with a jacket that gives some ventilation when needed is the best program I've found. I just have to remember not to over dress so much it leads to being drenched in sweat. My favourite warm layer is a smart wool sweater.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:28 AM

As a hunter I learned years ago base layers are key. Avoid anything cotton; it gets wet from sweat, stays wet, and has zero insulating qualities when it is wet.

After that it seems my hands and feet are always problem areas. I have a pair of the same muffs JP4 posted. Got them at the local ATV shop cheap. They are ugly but help a lot. I put grip heaters on all my street and dual sport bikes but never have on my dirtbikes. Not sure why.

I found if I use those stick on toe warmers made by Hothands my feet stay pretty warm unless I ride more then 3 hours, which I usually don't in the winter time.