Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:51 PM

Default Need some help, sort of Noob

Ok....I am a bit of a noob to GG....I was in the market for an FSE but it never came through...so I know about the 4T but not the 2T.

There is a 2005 250EC that I am considering. What are some things that I need to look at and ask the owner. Are top end kits for GG easy to get, bearings and stuff like that?

I am looking for a good woods bike, something that has wide ratio transmission, lighting coil and can be lugged down. I guess I understand that yes this was the mission with this bike but would someone like to give real world experience...how is the bike is rocky terrain....lugging it down in single track?

I was considering KTM 250EXC but cannot find them, also considering RMX 250 and even considering YZ250 and changing to WR gears and adding a lighting coil. So I am exhausting all my avenues. But I don't want to spend the $$ for something new.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 12-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdfblackm View Post
Ok....I am a bit of a noob to GG....I was in the market for an FSE but it never came through...so I know about the 4T but not the 2T.

There is a 2005 250EC that I am considering. What are some things that I need to look at and ask the owner. Are top end kits for GG easy to get, bearings and stuff like that?

I am looking for a good woods bike, something that has wide ratio transmission, lighting coil and can be lugged down. I guess I understand that yes this was the mission with this bike but would someone like to give real world experience...how is the bike is rocky terrain....lugging it down in single track?

I was considering KTM 250EXC but cannot find them, also considering RMX 250 and even considering YZ250 and changing to WR gears and adding a lighting coil. So I am exhausting all my avenues. But I don't want to spend the $$ for something new.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Are you speaking of the yellow and black 2005 in Phx.? That is a good price. The 2T is an excellent choice for woods/roots and rocks and the Rocky moto trail in fort valley!! Even the peaks loops...shhh! Like any bike it will need to be tailored to fit you, ie. riding style, experience, weight. That means maybe springs and a valving. Me personally would choose the 2T over the 4T FSE.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

The engines haven't changed a whole lot over the years so parts are a breeze. Being a 2 stroke there's not much to them. All the bearings in the cases (and powervalve setup) can be sourced from your local supplier. I did a complete rebuild on mine not too long ago for under $700AUD, and that included postage and exchange rates. I bet you could do it for a couple hundred less.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:56 PM

Yes exactly...the yellow and black one in PHX!!!

Trying to do my due diligence before I look at it and get my guns a blazing.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I went from a YZ426 with WR400 gears (almost exact same ratio as the WR450) to a 2002 XC300 about two years ago and haven't looked back. I now own a 2011 300 and love it. The YZ was a "steer with the rear" kind of bike and the GG is a "steer with the front" bike. I recently noticed that the GG would do what I wanted it to do, as opposed to the YZ that wanted to do what it wanted to do.

My first real trail ride on the 300 and I wore myself out trying to wrestle it around. Once I realized you can simply ride it, I am no longer tired after a couple of hours on the trail.

Great bike for single track, open stuff, whatever you want. You can tune it however you want, I swear there is a knob for everything but color on the suspension and the carb can be adjusted infinitely to suit your needs.

If it's a good deal, the worst case situation is you sell it for what you paid and be out the cost of gas and oil.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:43 PM

Agree with Jake, don't worry about parts. I picked up a whole bottom and top end kit from N. Tahoe Motorsports (ebay store but located in U.S.) for my 07 EC300 including a case splitter for around 600 something (bearings, seals, gaskets, everything). Bob (owner of N. Tahoe Motorsports, one of the oldest GASGAS dealers in US) rides an early 2000's model and continues to because he still likes it over the newer bikes. *&^%$$ that's what my 4T topend rebuild cost me (just the topend, with me doing all the R&R!!!).

And I agree - get the 2T. My daily rider was a CRF450R, threw my back out when I got stuck in the mud at tenmile wash in Moab. Next season I rented an 11 gasgas EC300 from Jim Ryan in Moab (dualsportutah.com). I got so stuck in the mud in tenmile wash (AGAIN) I was hauling on his bike when I realized I had it standing straight up on its back tire. Covered in mud, I had an epiphany. That NEVER would have happened with my Honda 4T, too heavy. I washed Jim's bike, returned it, came home and bought a gasgas. Most of what we ride here in South CO is what you are describing, rough roots/rocks (it is the Rocky mountains after all) and I can ride the EC300 all day and not be tired. My buddy rode mine, bought an 11 ec300, and doesn't ride his KTM 4T anymore. Nuff said. You won't be sorry.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:11 PM

I guess I should be more clear...I meant getting a YZ250 2T and dropping WR gears in it...common mod. Sorry for the confusion...but going with 2T regardless.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Yz with WR gears is nice, but it is still an MX engine that wants to "go" all the time. I spent all my resources trying to tame the huge hit. The GasGas is built for trails from the factory. I had an 05 EC250 and it was the best handling bike I've ever owned. Just jet it to your liking and set suspension to your specs.

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F
Old 12-10-2013, 07:45 PM

Nothing turns like a gasser. Get the 2t!

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 12-10-2013, 09:32 PM

Talked to the owner, sounds like a nice bike and he seems like a great guy. Going to head down to Phx this weekend to take a look at it.

Thank you for your input and fingers crossed....might be riding a GG soon!