Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I raced my first Enduro (scramble, whatever) last month. 90 minutes of up and down, up and down, MX track, repeat. The first 40 minutes was me bashing around on everything, dragging my feet, and sitting down. Minutes 40-60 was exhaustion and adrenaline, but I was thinking about bike position. Probably my best laps. The last 20-30 minutes was pure adrenaline, completely exhausted, but the funny thing I was too tired to sit so I stood the last 20 minutes. It was too much effort to put my feet down in the corners and then pick the dead leg up onto the peg, so I just stood the whole time. I didn't realize it until the last 10 minutes, but it was interesting that it took complete exhaustion and survival instincts to ride with better body position.

My take is that it is too much work to keep sitting, sticking a leg out, standing up, sitting, etc. I wore myself out doing that when I should have just stood the whole dang time.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Interesting, since I have had children (started 4 yrs ago) my fitness dropped considerably but I still entered the odd enduro and discovered that because I knew I did not have the energy to paddle my way up climbs I made sure I thought about my line and was much more committed in my approach to ensure that I made it up first time.

There is a lot to be said for correct technique conserving energy
Old 05-02-2012, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

True that! I can ride a pretty neat pace all day long until I need to lift the bike over something or push it somewhere. Almost instantly sapped huffing and puffing and wondering why I do it to myself.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Get yourself a Trials bike and ride it.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 05-02-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter007 View Post
Too bad, I sold my place on the west slope of White Pass. Aside from your secret play area, Is there any legal dirtbiking in the Rimrock area? Always wanted to jeep there, but always turned around at Whistilin' Jack's and headed back up to Funny & Moonrocks.
Only a couple....1145,1126 The rest are jeep trails.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 PM

Well considering all the input...I decided to make a list(short, I want to live long enough to enjoy my riding), of the things I would like to improve. I'm self-motivated, so dedication to practice won't be an issue. I'll keep the wish list to myself, as most of what I lack is painfully(sometimes literally) obvious. I did do one thing, which most will appreciate...I made arrangements to have someone with me during these times. This may seem like a no-brainer, but I have established a track record of riding by myself. To those who have expressed their concerns...I've been paying attention! Hopefully I'll have some new trail vids soon.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:55 PM

Well, after all the input...I've been practicing I'm almost exclusively a stand-up rider, now. This has vastly improved my ability to pick better lines at any speed. Another plus, I'm way more comfortable in nasty, technical stuff. While my speeds on the trail are noticeably slower, I'm actually gaining time between points A-B since I'm not dragging my bike out of the brush, or flipping it right side up It's been a real education learning to apply the "smoother is faster" theory. Lately I've taken up riding in a 4x4 area. There's lots of nasties to ride on...Boulder fields, Riding the little narrow ridges between the ruts, and generally working on focus & balance. I've been giving my skid plate a gnarley workout(welded rips in it twice). My conditioning is starting to improve, as I rode a 7 hr stint, yesterday. To force myself to concentrate, I removed the seat at the end, to my push myself a bit. I really appreciate everyone's advice and input. Much like jetting, my learning curve has been shortened dramatically.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 PM

Default Long Ride Times

7 Hours of practice time on a bike makes me think you might be getting ready for... "The Off-Road Cup"

If you are getting that much practice time on a regular basis you should be dramatically smoother than when you started this thread. That's awesome!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The last few guys I have mentored all ended up faster than me. I'm changing the advice I give folks.

1. Sit down.

2. don't worry about looking very far down the trail.

3. That little twisty thing on the right side of the bar... Just twist it further.

4. Get the most powerful, Motocross bike you can buy.

5. Kickstands are for sissies.

6. Jump a lot. Do tricks.

Oh, and a bonus. Run a minimum of 30 PSI in your tyres.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-07-2012, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyJohnson View Post
7 Hours of practice time on a bike makes me think you might be getting ready for... "The Off-Road Cup"
My conditioning has always been pretty good. My general pace, by "racing" standards is pretty slow. When I let out the clutch, leaving the trailhead...I can ride my pace, all day.